Repairing Cracks In Records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Repairing Cracks In Records

Post by Victor A »

Hi all,

is there a way I can repair a crack on my record? It goes across the entire thing and makes an awful clicking sound after the needle passes over it. It seemed impossible (if not a very, very long shot) to me, but perhaps there is a way.
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Repairing Cracks In Records

Post by Wolfe »

Nope. You can try to align the crack as much as possible, but it's not going to play noiselessly ever again.

If you're playing it on a steel needle phonograph, the heavy tracking needle will probably dig out some shellac at the crack every time you play it, making it worse.

Victor A
Victor I

Post by Victor A »

Thank you, Wolfe.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I have posted previously on this same issue. Cracks can be repaired depending on whether small chips have flaked out of the crack or not. If no chips are missing then you can proceed.

The best method is to find a very flat solid surface to work on... I prefer a piece of tabletop glass. The glue to use is WeldBond, not super glue, because it dries extremely hard but flexible and can be wiped off while wet with a damp cloth. Take your record and inspect the crack, if it is tight without a gap, you are good to go. Place a stripe of WeldBond on the crack on both sides of the record, "slightly" flex the record to allow glue into the crack and rub it in with your finger on both sides. Make sure to line up the crack, so there is no raised edge that a needle can catch on. Once lined up, wipe the wet excess glue off of both sides with a damp paper towel, making sure to remove it from the grooves.

Lay the record on the glass and use small clamps on either side of the crack or tape it in position with removable tape to make sure it stays lined up while drying. Don't touch it for 24 hours. Once hardened the record will sound like new when tapped with your finger, not the dull sound of a broken record. Play it with a steel needle several times to make sure all of the glue is removed from the grooves. Depending on how well you were able to re-align the crack, it will now play without worry of further damage. You may hear a tick as the needle traverses the crack, but the more you play it, the better it gets. It may not be perfect, but it beats throwing away a good record.

NOTE: WeldBond glue is an important part of this process. It is different from Elmers glue or other white glues, as it adheres to practically anything with a permanent bond and it is easily removed before curing with water... You can find it at Michaels craft store or online... other stores may have it, as well, but it can be hard to locate.

Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Weldbond-8-50420 ... B00RM70OGE
Attachments
Weldbondguide.pdf
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

spike
Victor Jr

Post by spike »

Just want to say, I agree with Curt. A great method, I have used it several times with very good results. The record may not be perfect, but it is dam close!

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Great information! I will be curious to try it sometime.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I may also try that method sometime ! Thanks.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

Oddly enough, a crack which takes a slice out of the record without reaching the centre seems to be even more difficult to repair than one which spans the whole diameter. It seems to me that in the former case there are tensions within the material which cause the two fragments to distort in relation to one another, so that they will never quite line up.

Oliver Mundy.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Menophanes wrote:Oddly enough, a crack which takes a slice out of the record without reaching the centre seems to be even more difficult to repair than one which spans the whole diameter. It seems to me that in the former case there are tensions within the material which cause the two fragments to distort in relation to one another, so that they will never quite line up.

Oliver Mundy.
Oliver,

If you mean a crack that results in a gap, you are correct. However, if the break is clean, you can often close the gap by clamping or taping one side of the record down to hold it in place, inserting the glue, then forcing the gap to closed by pressure from the other side, then immediately clamping that side so the gap does not open back up... Once the glue is set, it will not separate again.
Last edited by Curt A on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Victor A
Victor I

Post by Victor A »

Thank you Curt, I thought there might be some hope! ( :lol: )