Playing Pathé on Edison

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Playing Pathé on Edison

Post by CarlosV »

estott wrote:[

In general, If it has the pressed-in title (no paper label) and the titling is in French, it is center start.
That's correct, with the exception of Pathé discs with black paper labels that have the same design as the pressed labels (and are center-start). There are also some vertical cut French labels that are center start, like early Opéras,Idéal, Henry etc.

The only other center start discs I have seen are the 16-inch transcription discs made in the US in the 40s. These are lateral cuts, however.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Playing Pathé on Edison

Post by estott »

CarlosV wrote:
estott wrote:[

In general, If it has the pressed-in title (no paper label) and the titling is in French, it is center start.
That's correct, with the exception of Pathé discs with black paper labels that have the same design as the pressed labels (and are center-start). There are also some vertical cut French labels that are center start, like early Opéras,Idéal, Henry etc.

The only other center start discs I have seen are the 16-inch transcription discs made in the US in the 40s. These are lateral cuts, however.
I have one oddball center start- a disc demonstrating the Atwater Kent Golden Voice Radio Phonograph. 12 inch, a Columbia laminated pressing. I think it was made center start to put the best sound quality at the end where it makes more impression.