Some Traditional Country on the Edison A-250 Diamond Disc

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Some Traditional Country on the Edison A-250 Diamond Disc

Post by Valecnik »

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Some Traditional Country on the Edison A-250 Diamond Dis

Post by audiophile102 »

Can't say I'm much of a hillbilly music fan, but I do love my own A250 and yours is a real beauty. I don't know if I would play records on my machine very often if the Golden Gate Orchestra had not recorded for Edison. I only have a few of their records, but I play one or more every day.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

What a great example of Americana, Bruce. To me, the song really inflects the future depression era sound.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

audiophile102 wrote:Can't say I'm much of a hillbilly music fan, but I do love my own A250 and yours is a real beauty. I don't know if I would play records on my machine very often if the Golden Gate Orchestra had not recorded for Edison. I only have a few of their records, but I play one or more every day.
Thanks for the comments about the A-250. As you can see it has a prominent place in the living room and gets frequent use. I can understand your lack of enthusiasm for the musical selection. Not a lot of enthusiasm out there for this genre. I certainly like the Golden Gate Orchestra, no, wait I LOVE the Golden Gate Orchestra & dance & early jazz music generally. However I have a real broad musical interest. If you check out my youTube channel you'll find play lists for, among others:
- Dance & Jazz
- Popular Music from around 1910 -1929
- Brass Band & Orchestral
- Operatic

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

fran604g wrote:What a great example of Americana, Bruce. To me, the song really inflects the future depression era sound.

Best,
Fran
Thanks Fran. To me also. My first exposure as a kid to the hobby was listening to Vernon Dalhart on my departed great Grandmother's Victrola XI, (which she bought used). That type of music was certainly popular on the farms, in rural areas etcetera. As long as we are on the topic, here's the flip side. :D

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJlTveSvGWk[/youtubehd]

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Valecnik wrote:
fran604g wrote:What a great example of Americana, Bruce. To me, the song really inflects the future depression era sound.

Best,
Fran
Thanks Fran. To me also. My first exposure as a kid to the hobby was listening to Vernon Dalhart on my departed great Grandmother's Victrola XI, (which she bought used). That type of music was certainly popular on the farms, in rural areas etcetera. As long as we are on the topic, here's the flip side. :D

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJlTveSvGWk[/youtubehd]
Thank you! That's marvelous!

-Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Edison recorded the Stoneman Family. That's the most gen-u-ine "hillbilly" music that I'm aware of Edison recording. Gene Austin was really a pop singer, of course, like Vernon Dalhart.

Cute song.