Fonotipia operatic key-note tuning band

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Torjazzer
Victor II

Fonotipia operatic key-note tuning band

Post by Torjazzer »

I recently acquired some Fonotipia operatic records from a local collector. One disc by the forgotten (and forgettable)mezzo soprano Armida Parsi-Pettinella has a key-note tuning band between the session and run-off grooves. This particular recording is from Il Trovatore. Can anyone tell me which key note this represents?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Fonotipia operatic key-note tuning band

Post by Lucius1958 »

Generally, the tuning note for an orchestra is A. If the record does not have orchestral accompaniment, then it's more difficult. An audio comparison between the main recording and the tuning band, using a reference to the score, might prove useful.

That said, sometimes tuning pitches varied from orchestra to orchestra; and arias might even be transposed to suit a particular singer's voice... :geek:

Bill

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

A is correct. Use a pitch pipe and match the tuning band to "A". Fonotipias play all over the map. I have some that aren't in proper pitch until slowed down to 68 and others that need to play as high as 82.

Sean

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

Thank you so much for your replies. "A" works very well for this record with the platter spinning at 76 RPM.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

A little off topic, records made by the contralto Dame Clara Butt for UK Columbia often had the key printed on the label. I read somewhere that this was to enable the owner to accompany her on their own piano, but as the key appears on records with either piano or orchestral accompaniment I think this explanation unlikely.
Attachments
cb.jpg
cb.jpg (100.38 KiB) Viewed 1163 times

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

epigramophone wrote:A little off topic, records made by the contralto Dame Clara Butt for UK Columbia often had the key printed on the label. I read somewhere that this was to enable the owner to accompany her on their own piano, but as the key appears on records with either piano or orchestral accompaniment I think this explanation unlikely.
That is interesting. This is an electric pressing so I cannot imagine that the key was mentioned in order to calibrate the turntable; not so easy with early electric machines.