Blue Amberol Gold Lettering & Writing on Box

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Crank_it_up
Victor III

Blue Amberol Gold Lettering & Writing on Box

Post by Crank_it_up »

OK, I mostly spend my time on machines but I have handled thousands of cylinders and 78's. Recently while going through a few hundred recently acquired records I found this one. I will let the pictures speak for themselves. It doesn't appear that the lettering has been altered other than that they are gold not white as are every other BA I have seen. No, this is not yellowed from age, the record is in near mint condition. I have taken a few different images, some with flash others without. The first image is probably the best looking, you can see the gold better even though there is a shadow over the center. Blow this image up and you can see it clearly. I think the lettering on the box just indicates who it was from? Thanks in advance for your insight.
Joe
Attachments
IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0787.JPG
IMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0777.JPG
IMG_0784.JPG

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Blue Amberol Gold Lettering & Writing on Box

Post by HisMastersVoice »

My guess is that someone enhanced the visibility of the lettering with gold paint instead of white.

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Possibly, but it is so carefully done and just perfect in detail. Every little crevice is filled with precision. No signs of any white paint either. One thing is for sure, the receiver must not have liked the tune much as it shows little to no wear at all.
Joe

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Crank_it_up wrote:Possibly, but it is so carefully done and just perfect in detail. Every little crevice is filled with precision. No signs of any white paint either. One thing is for sure, the receiver must not have liked the tune much as it shows little to no wear at all.
Joe
In order to get it to look like that, all you have to do is smear paint over the letters and wipe off the excess, much easier that painting each letter individually.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

HisMastersVoice wrote:
Crank_it_up wrote:Possibly, but it is so carefully done and just perfect in detail. Every little crevice is filled with precision. No signs of any white paint either. One thing is for sure, the receiver must not have liked the tune much as it shows little to no wear at all.
Joe
In order to get it to look like that, all you have to do is smear paint over the letters and wipe off the excess, much easier that painting each letter individually.
Exactly the method I use, with white gloss enamel, to restore faded lettering.

Given the title of the cylinder and the message on the box this could have been a present to someone's sweetheart, enhanced with gold lettering to make a good impression.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"My guess is that someone enhanced the visibility of the lettering with gold paint instead of white."

+1

No way the Gold is Original.... Look at the "L" and other letters...You can plainly see the original Edison white underneath and also Gold brush strokes on other letters!!

Someone just highlighted it with some gold paint and used laquer thinner to wipe of the excess.. I could do the same today...and easily back in 1913...or later.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

No way the Gold is Original.... Look at the "L" and other letters...You can plainly see the original Edison white underneath and also Gold brush strokes on other letters!!

Someone just highlighted it with some gold paint and used laquer thinner to wipe of the excess.. I could do the same today...and easily back in 1913...or later.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer
Tony, I think what you see is camera flash or? To say "No way the Gold is Original" might not be accurate. I'm not sure of its originality but your statement seems a little harsh without seeing it in person. I'll bring it to Orlando in January and you can look at it up close. I would welcome your opinion in person. Under a bright light and/or a loupe I see no signs of white lettering, zero. Not on the letter L or anywhere, it is certainly not "plainly seen". I'm not insisting it was done at the factory, but it is done very well and NO signs of white. Once you see it you'll know what I mean. I'm not sure that you should form such an opinion before seeing it. Just another puzzling piece of history in this great hobby.
Joe