Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Recording goofs and bloopers

Post by estott »

I give up

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

epigramophone wrote:In Sir Charles Santley's rare recording of "Non piu andrai", he comments "I think that's all right" as the accompanist plays the concluding phrase. At the end of "To Anthea" (HMV 2-2864) there is an unintelligible three way conversation with the recording engineers.

After playing his "Shepherd's Hey" (HMV E147) Percy Grainger can be heard to remark "I think we'd better do that again". The recording was issued!

As Conchita Supervia sings "Non so Piu" (Parlophone R20077) a guitar strums in the distance.
On the HMV black-label 12" recording of Debussy's Jardins sous la Pluie by Moiseiwitsch, dating I think from around 1916, a voice clearly says 'Very good!' in the last groove. I have a fancy that the speaker could be the conductor Sir Henry Wood. I have not got a scrap of evidence that Wood was present in the studio, but the voice does sound like his and he was an admirer of the Russian pianist's work. Moreover, something very similar happens at the end of Clara Butt's 1917 Ombra mai fu (Columbia light blue 12"), where Wood was certainly on hand as conductor of the accompaniment. Here the words seem to be 'Let's see now'.

Then there is the 1904 version of the Miserere from Il Trovatore by Celestina Boninsegna and Juan Valls (G&T red label 10"). Valls holds the last note of his second line too long, so that the pianist (Cottone? - I no longer have the record and cannot check the label) has to put in an extra half-bar (three chords). When the passage is repeated, the pianist waits an instant before coming down with a thump on the first chord of the next bar - probably with a simultaneous glare round the corner of his upright instrument at the tenor; at any rate Valls responds correctly this time.

Oliver Mundy.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Several years ago I posted the following video on my YouTube channel featuring Cal Stewart on a very early Columbia brown wax cylinder from my collection. Shortly before the announcement (by Cal Stewart himself) you can very clearly hear Stewart hacking up some 'stuff' in his throat and then spitting it out. Then he begins the elaborate announcement:

"UNCLE JOSH WEATHERSBY EXTENDS AN INVITATION TO THE CITY FOLKS TO VISIT HIM DOWN ON THE FARM...AN ORIGINAL YANKEE STORY BY MISTER CAL STEWART...MADE FOR THE COLUMBIA PHONOGRAPH COMPANY OF NEW YORK AND PARIS...HEE HEE HAA HAA HAAAA..."

You will need to watch about 2 minutes of my introduction to the video before the actual subject audio goof-up can be heard so if you're impatient please feel free to skip ahead to about the 2 minute mark and play from there. The brown wax cylinder itself is very well preserved so the audible goof is very clear.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6byy4OfakX8[/youtube]

Doug

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

Thanks guys, these are all really neat!☺
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."