The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Recording goofs and bloopers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:09 pm 
Offline
Victor I
User avatar
"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:45 pm
Posts: 150
Hi all,

I was wondering if some kind of "discography"(the word used very loosely) of recording bloopers. For example, the YouTube user Bruce Victrolaman Young posted a video of an early Amberol with an Eddie Morton selection. If you read the comments, there is some discussion about indistinct speech.

This kind of stuff fascinates me, and I was wondering if it happened to interest someone else too.

Thanks!
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording goofs and bloopers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:24 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:54 pm
Posts: 1984
Kermit Schaefer released numerous albums called "Pardon My Blooper" that compiled various mistakes on record and radio over the years. Unfortunately, quite a large number of them were merely recreated on his records instead of coming from original sources. Even worse, he included the infamous "Uncle Don" incident (him supposedy saying "that ought to hold the little b*stards" after signoff), which has been widely debunked.

However, he did include some well-sourced goodies, like Bing Crosby's famous "rant" during a flubbed take of "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams"

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)



Given the wide amount of material potentially available, I don't think there is any kind of "discography", but you can probably find some websites and or blog posts on the subject easily enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording goofs and bloopers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:02 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 1462
Location: Castle Rock, WA
52089 wrote:
Kermit Schaefer released numerous albums called "Pardon My Blooper" that compiled various mistakes on record and radio over the years. Unfortunately, quite a large number of them were merely recreated on his records instead of coming from original sources. Even worse, he included the infamous "Uncle Don" incident (him supposedy saying "that ought to hold the little b*stards" after signoff), which has been widely debunked.

However, he did include some well-sourced goodies, like Bing Crosby's famous "rant" during a flubbed take of "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams"

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)



Given the wide amount of material potentially available, I don't think there is any kind of "discography", but you can probably find some websites and or blog posts on the subject easily enough.

Here is the other Bingo blooper recording, SERENADE IN BLUE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwqSXEwDMgg
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording goofs and bloopers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:17 pm 
Offline
Victor I
User avatar
"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:45 pm
Posts: 150
Thanks guys, these are really neat!
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording goofs and bloopers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:43 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
The Finest Gift of All!
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:57 pm
Posts: 212
Location: Charlottesville, Va
On the subject of released records that have minor flaws in the recording, here's what I already know:

In the original version of "Hot Rod Race", done by Arkie Shibley And His Mountain Dew Boys, at the start of a guitar section, and at 1:14 in this video, you can clearly hear one of the band members cough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ub9nQ0YVCg

Another lesser known, and probably less appreciated goof is in the Grateful Dead's "Sitting On Top Of The World", from their first self titled album release. During a guitar solo, a bird can be heard chirping once in the background. This may or may not be a pre-recorded sound effect, but it's worth the mention.
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording goofs and bloopers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:12 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:52 pm
Posts: 1843
https://youtu.be/yVbZEyFBCZo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording goofs and bloopers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:12 am 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:33 pm
Posts: 2343
Location: Near NY's Capital
I can think of a couple not mentioned yet. The Caruso / Melba recording of "O Soave Fanciulla" originally recorded for Victor but not issued until after both had died on IRCC (pressed by Victor in the early 30s) contains a distinct "thunk" where one of them bumped into the recording horn. It's otherwise a fantastic recording.

Another Caruso "blooper" is the early G&T (1902) recording of "Dai Campi Dai Prati" where he comes in and starts singing too early in the piano introduction then abruptly stops and starts again at the right point. The original G&T issue is pretty pricy, but you can find it repressed from original parts on HMV VA 7.

There's also a Galli-Curci issued 10 inch Victor red seal (title escapes me) where the nearby Campbell's soup factory whistle can be heard blowing distinctly.

Some Gennett's have the sounds of trains faintly audible in the background also, which makes sense since the recording studio was right next to the tracks.

I've also heard quite a few Victors where car horns can be heard "oogling" in the background.

One of the early 7 inch Zonophones our own donniej reproduced from my copy of "Sadie Won't You Say Nay" by Will F. Denny has a few seconds of unintelligible babbling going on during the piano intro, it's clearly Denny, but you can't hear what he's saying.

I should start setting these aside when I find them so I could cite certain examples, but it's not that uncommon to hear things like that on recordings.

Sean


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording goofs and bloopers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:33 am 
Offline
Victor VI
I have good days...this might not be one of them
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:23 pm
Posts: 3531
Location: Albany NY
Not [i]Quite[i] a blooper, but there is the version of "The Drunkard Song" where Rudy Vallee got into a fit of giggles:

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording goofs and bloopers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:17 am 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:03 am
Posts: 574
Location: near Utopia, UK
OrthoSean wrote:
There's also a Galli-Curci issued 10 inch Victor red seal (title escapes me) where the nearby Campbell's soup factory whistle can be heard blowing distinctly.

Also a wonderful record, topped off with this added amusement! 64807, Massenet: Twilight.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording goofs and bloopers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:53 am 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:33 pm
Posts: 2343
Location: Near NY's Capital
Orchorsol wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:
There's also a Galli-Curci issued 10 inch Victor red seal (title escapes me) where the nearby Campbell's soup factory whistle can be heard blowing distinctly.

Also a wonderful record, topped off with this added amusement! 64807, Massenet: Twilight.


Thank you! I couldn't for the life of me recall which one it was!

Sean


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.