Finally got thru unpacking, some questions.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
EdisonWizard
Victor III

Finally got thru unpacking, some questions.

Post by EdisonWizard »

Finally got to unpack all my cylinders from the move. I figured it was a good opportunity to look thru them as I put them back, and I noticed a couple I was wondering if someone could tell me a little about them.

I have a few 4 min "pumpkin center" cylinders. What is that? I still have yet to bring the machines over so I haven't listened to them.

I also found 2 5000 series records. I'll post a picture. Are these any good? Only 5000 series I've ever had lol.

Also...who's Uncle Josh? I found a couple of his records too.

Sorry if the pics are sideways I'm doing all this from my phone...can't sleep!
Attachments
20171007_000134.jpg
20171007_000043.jpg
20171007_000002.jpg
J.F.

jboger
Victor IV

Re: Finally got thru unpacking, some questions.

Post by jboger »

Uncle Josh was someone who laughed the hardest at his own jokes.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

jboger wrote:Uncle Josh was someone who laughed the hardest at his own jokes.
Hahaha :lol: that's funny. I'll have to listen to them. When I had them stacked in the cabinet I never got to the ones in the back.
J.F.

Pete Stratford
Victor II

Post by Pete Stratford »

Hello,
Do a Google search for "Cal Stewart". It will explain the whole Uncle Josh thing.
Pete

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Pete Stratford wrote:Hello,
Do a Google search for "Cal Stewart". It will explain the whole Uncle Josh thing.
Pete
I'll do that thanks.

Edit: Its pretty interesting, befriended m
Mark Twain, seems to have been quite popular. I'm unpacking machines today i think I'll play a few.
J.F.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Punkin' Center Stories, is written by Cal Stewart. Mr. Stewart made records from about 1897-1919 ( Born about 1856 in Virginia he died on December 7th, 1919, and buried in Tipton, Indiana.) The Punkin' Center stories are part of the Uncle Josh series. Uncle Josh was a New England rube, in the made up village of Pumpkin Center He goes to New York city on the train often and gets into trouble, like putting the mail in the fire alarm, and fighting with Chinese Laundry owners, missing trains playing baseball with a ram. He buys and automobile and blows it up. Several people die at the Annual fourth of July celebration. Some of his records, are banned to play in large cities, to those globalist Un-Americans who are wanting to bury American History. He recorded for almost all recording companies, Edison, Columbia, Berliner, Emerson... and on and on, as much as collectors loathe his work, he has many followers and still offers laughs. I forgot to mention that I perform Uncle Josh, and have been played several times with Uncle Josh buys a computer on the Dr. Demento Show. Mike Sorter has a few one off Uncle Josh brown waxes that I have made, they may be collectors items someday.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

edisonphonoworks wrote:Punkin' Center Stories, is written by Cal Stewart. Mr. Stewart made records from about 1897-1919 ( Born about 1856 in Virginia he died on December 7th, 1919, and buried in Tipton, Indiana.) The Punkin' Center stories are part of the Uncle Josh series. Uncle Josh was a New England rube, in the made up village of Pumpkin Center He goes to New York city on the train often and gets into trouble, like putting the mail in the fire alarm, and fighting with Chinese Laundry owners, missing trains playing baseball with a ram. He buys and automobile and blows it up. Several people die at the Annual fourth of July celebration. Some of his records, are banned to play in large cities, to those globalist Un-Americans who are wanting to bury American History. He recorded for almost all recording companies, Edison, Columbia, Berliner, Emerson... and on and on, as much as collectors loathe his work, he has many followers and still offers laughs. I forgot to mention that I perform Uncle Josh, and have been played several times with Uncle Josh buys a computer on the Dr. Demento Show. Mike Sorter has a few one off Uncle Josh brown waxes that I have made, they may be collectors items someday.
Hey that's awesome! Very interesting read. I think I have quite a few records that would be banned in some unAmerican cites. One that says "if you dont like the USA go back to the country which you came, whatever be it's name" or something like that. Think it's called Don't Bite the Hand that Feeds You. Pretty sure it'll trigger people today. I found another called wake up america...I haven't listened to it yet but I will tomorrow. Lol.
J.F.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

EdisonWizard wrote:
edisonphonoworks wrote:Punkin' Center Stories, is written by Cal Stewart. Mr. Stewart made records from about 1897-1919 ( Born about 1856 in Virginia he died on December 7th, 1919, and buried in Tipton, Indiana.) The Punkin' Center stories are part of the Uncle Josh series. Uncle Josh was a New England rube, in the made up village of Pumpkin Center He goes to New York city on the train often and gets into trouble, like putting the mail in the fire alarm, and fighting with Chinese Laundry owners, missing trains playing baseball with a ram. He buys and automobile and blows it up. Several people die at the Annual fourth of July celebration. Some of his records, are banned to play in large cities, to those globalist Un-Americans who are wanting to bury American History. He recorded for almost all recording companies, Edison, Columbia, Berliner, Emerson... and on and on, as much as collectors loathe his work, he has many followers and still offers laughs. I forgot to mention that I perform Uncle Josh, and have been played several times with Uncle Josh buys a computer on the Dr. Demento Show. Mike Sorter has a few one off Uncle Josh brown waxes that I have made, they may be collectors items someday.
Hey that's awesome! Very interesting read. I think I have quite a few records that would be banned in some unAmerican cites. One that says "if you dont like the USA go back to the country which you came, whatever be it's name" or something like that. Think it's called Don't Bite the Hand that Feeds You. Pretty sure it'll trigger people today. I found another called wake up america...I haven't listened to it yet but I will tomorrow. Lol.
"Don't Bite the Hand That's Feeding You" is one of my personal favorite WWI songs. There's another one called "Let's All Be Americans Now" that's a similar theme, with perhaps a bit more tact. There was a recent thread on the board about the many hundreds of WWI "propaganda" songs. I have always been fascinated by these songs

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

I found 2 more I think are WW1 songs. One is "If he Fights like he loves, goodnight Germany!" And other one is along the lines of "as the front gets closer to tippary" or something like that by Billy Murray.
J.F.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

EdisonWizard wrote:
Then there's "The Colored Recruits": pretty cringe-inducing nowadays... :shock:

Bill