Playing cylinders: can groove-jumping be prevented/reduced?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Menophanes
Victor II

Re: Playing cylinders: can groove-jumping be prevented/reduc

Post by Menophanes »

I have now learned that, contrary to what I have hitherto believed, 100-watt incandescent bulbs can still be bought online in Britain. This being so, I shall try this method of heating again; in the light of what Chuck and Shawn (and Paul Morris in private correspondence) have said, I would rather use the traditional method if I can. I have got a cast-iron desk lamp dating from about 1930 whose bowl I have lined with silver foil to improve reflection.

I wonder how people in the 1890s, without benefit of either central heating or high-wattage electric lighting (if indeed they had electricity at all), dealt with this issue?

I understand that one of my earlier postings has been taken to mean that I wished to cast doubt on the consistency and reliability of Paul's blanks. I had no such intention. In that posting I included the sentence 'Obviously this [i.e. the rather frequent instance of groove-jumping in my home-made records] is not because of any fault in the blanks themselves', and I went on to suggest that my idea of using the microwave might be to blame; but apparently this was not clear enough. Let it be understood, then, that I accept and always did accept all such problems as being caused solely by my own want of skill and knowledge, which several of you have taken some pains to correct. Once again, my thanks to all.

Oliver Mundy.

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Re: Playing cylinders: can groove-jumping be prevented/reduc

Post by Chuck »

I am fairly sure that back in the old days before
most people even had electricity in their homes, that
about the only way to get a really good loud
recording on a cylinder was to wait for a nice hot
summer day when it's about 90 F. in the shade! :)
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo