Brown Wax Cylinder Information Needed

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Dave D
Victor IV

Brown Wax Cylinder Information Needed

Post by Dave D »

I found a few of these today. My first thought was that they are some sort of dictation cylinder, but they are announced and it is a musical selection. They are not in the best of shape, but I would like to clean them and see what they sound like.

Has anyone ever hear of this company? (Mich Electric Co, Detroit, MI) What is the best way to clean these? I admit to not being much of a record guy, so my knowledge in this area is really lacking. Any idea of the age? I included a shot of the interior, too, in case that tells you anything. No boxes with these.
Thanks!
Dave D
Attachments
IMG_4125.JPG

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Brown Wax Cylinder Information Needed

Post by Roaring20s »

Dave, I did a google search and came up with the following.
It looks like your cylinder is circa 1897.
I'd say it is a very uncommon example. :coffee:

James.
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 7.16.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 7.16.24 PM.png (135.06 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 7.14.01 PM.png

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Thanks for the information. I wonder if they made the records themselves or just what the deal was. There was no phonograph found when the records were removed from an attic recently. That would have been a great find, too!
Dave

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Probably just an early form of a dealer tag.

It's odd that you should find such a thing, as just yesterday, I bought a cylinder cabinet at an antique mall, that had several brown wax cylinders in it. The cylinder ends had various titles scratched into them, obviously by hand. They are very moldy. The couple that would play at all appear to be home recordings.

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

I found these on Sunday. They were in a cylinder record cabinet that was in such bad shape that even I did not want it.
Dave

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

Harry Macdonough recorded his first cylinders for the Michigan Electric Company, and he said that these cylinders, "Were not sold, but merely used in their phonograph parlor, on the slot machines in use at that time."
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Dave D wrote:What is the best way to clean these?
If it has any mold issues and you want to kill those, isopropyl alcohol is the best solution for safe cleaning of wax. No need to rinse afterwards as it evaporates completely without any residue. Just go for 70% IPA (not higher) as the mold spores require a certain percentage of water. I usually wipe the cylinder from the inside first, let it dry and then put it on the mandrel and work from there with some soft cotton pads. Has never failed me once.

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

I sure do appreciate all the great information. I need to listen to some of Harry's cylinders on youtube and see what he sounds like.
Dave