I'd Climb The Highest Mountain... / Roger Wolfe Kahn Orch.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

I'd Climb The Highest Mountain... / Roger Wolfe Kahn Orch.

Post by Wolfe »

jazzgirl1920s
Victor Jr

Re: I'd Climb The Highest Mountain... / Roger Wolfe Kahn Orch.

Post by jazzgirl1920s »

Wasn't Roger Wolfe Kahn the son of a millionaire banker, Otto Kahn, and Roger had this band just for fun? I have seen a picture of the band with Roger Wolfe Kahn out front and he looks like a very young man. Leading a band when he was about 20 years old? The great jazz trombonist, Jack Teagarden, plays one of his first jazz trombone solos on record with Roger Wolfe Kahn's band. The song is "She's A Great Great Girl" recorded for Victor in 1928. Fortunately I found it on youtube. Listen for Jack Teagarden's trombone solo.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23adVVvpc24[/youtube]

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I have heard the part about him being the son of Otto Kahn, I'm not really sure what motivation RWK had for being in music.

That song posted on You Tube was pretty busy, they're throwing everything in but the kitchen sink. It's got a nice solo from Teagarden, and I'll be darned if that violin isn't played by Joe Venuti (who was in the band at some point) it sure sounds like him.

I just re-listened to the one I put up and realized there's a part where the file skips a beat. It's not the record,I don't know how I missed that. :cry:

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Thanks for posting this. I absolutely love Roger Wolfe Kahn! I love the arrangements, and of course, being the son of a millionaire, he could hire the best musicians money could buy. Unfortunately he lost interest in his orchestra in 1932, after which he concentrated on his other passion, aviation.