Question About Cylinders

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Question About Cylinders

Post by gramophone-georg »

melvind wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:Sure, as long as I'm willing to pay to send it back. Incidentally, it came with $15 postage due because the post office doesn't think these are records. :roll:
You should be able to get your money back from the Post Office. There was just some uninformed employee being over zealous that said it wasn't a record. They cannot decide a record is not a record even if they are unfamiliar with them. After all, it is "media" and the postage is for "media" not just records.
Someone opened the box to inspect and I'm sure the cylinder boxes wrapped in styrofoam padded sheets looked like drinking glasses to them. They didn't bother opening the styrofoam. That may be a good thing.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

gramophone-georg wrote:
melvind wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:Sure, as long as I'm willing to pay to send it back. Incidentally, it came with $15 postage due because the post office doesn't think these are records. :roll:
You should be able to get your money back from the Post Office. There was just some uninformed employee being over zealous that said it wasn't a record. They cannot decide a record is not a record even if they are unfamiliar with them. After all, it is "media" and the postage is for "media" not just records.
Someone opened the box to inspect and I'm sure the cylinder boxes wrapped in styrofoam padded sheets looked like drinking glasses to them. They didn't bother opening the styrofoam. That may be a good thing.
If possible take it back to the post office as original as you can. You may want to take a standard with you and play some cylinders. . After five forms filled out I am sure you will get your cash back. You may need to speak to a supervisor. if you are having a problem.. Only kidding about taking a standard with you but it would entertain the lobby for a while and calm your nerves. Tom B

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

My post office is very familiar with cylinder records, as I have taken them there to buy packing material and pack them at the post office and they consider them sound recordings, or media.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

edisonphonoworks wrote:My post office is very familiar with cylinder records, as I have taken them there to buy packing material and pack them at the post office and they consider them sound recordings, or media.
Well done, but unfortunately most post offices have no idea at all and probably even could care less about it.