78's: mostly junk?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Big Beat
Victor O

78's: mostly junk?

Post by Big Beat »

While I'm working on my newly acquired Brunswick, I have a question about records themselves. I have been collecting LP's for over 25 years, so upon seeing a box of records at a yard sale, I know exactly what's worthwhile, and what's just junk to be left behind. Besides whatever interests me personally, I basically have a good idea as to what types of records, music and artists may be of interest to other collectors, and should be be picked up for trade or resale.

However, my knowledge of 78's is rather meager in comparison. I know what I like (1920's jazz, Billy Murray and Marion Harris type stuff) and I know what's most valuable (1930's rural blues, 1950's vocal groups). But the impression I get is that all other types of 78s are basically frisbees as far as most people are concerned. I have seen people throw them out by the crateful and nobody caring enough to rescue them, unless they fit one of the above genres. Is this basically how it is? What other types of 78's are generally of collector interest? Can someone educate me? Thanks!

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Re: 78's: mostly junk?

Post by Edisonfan »

Well you have come to the right place. It's a shame to see people treat 78's as mostly junk, but they really are not. There is a great deal of good music on them. I think too many people became jaded once Lp's were introduced. That's also why most record collectors buy only vyinl, and from the 1950's on. Most people and collocters of latter music, don't see inherainet value in early 78's. Mainly becuse 78's have only one song per side, and think music that was recroded without the use of electricty, is too primative.

Most of the music you have listed is what a lot of the collcetors on here would agree with you on. That is the type to collect. I tend to stay away from the religous stuff, and the Hawawwian music. No real internsic value.

A vast majority of the 78's I have are between 1900-1929. Known as the Acoustic era. Great music from this time period. Especailly, since it was recorded without the use of electricity. I also have a vast amount of Victor records. Mainly since I have a Victrola. The rest are just mixed labels. I even collect 78's just for the labels themselves.

As for the value of 78's, there are other people on here, who can help you out more then I can.

I collect them not just for the fun of it, but for preserving a part of history. That would otherwise be lost if no one took the time too do what we do on here.

Paul

Big Beat
Victor O

Post by Big Beat »

I know what you mean about preserving history, I feel that way sometimes when I find something old and unappreciated.

As an example, one record dealer I know recently threw away several hundred 1930's - 1940's swing records. Said that he had them for years and couldn't sell them, and they took up too much space. I pulled out a couple for myself before the garbage truck got them, but I couldn't take them all. Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Nat King Cole, Mills Brothers, early Sinatra on Columbia... Almost all the records were in near mint condition, each sleeve had a typewritten label with song titles, recording dates, personnel, and date & price purchased. Somebody once cared about this collection very much, but 50-60-70 years down the road it couldn't be given away. It's really sad, but it seems that the guy was basically right and there is no market for such stuff.

NashTwin8
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Learning and having fun!

Post by NashTwin8 »

Edisonfan wrote: I think too many people became jaded once Lp's were introduced.
I think this is a good point. I'm amazed by people today who seemingly can't wait to toss out one recording format the minute a new one starts becoming popular.

I live in a condominium building, and often see perfectly good stuff in the garbage dumpster. Whole VHS tape collections in the trash, because DVDs were now available. So many people I know say they no longer own a turntable or a cassette recorder or whatever. Maybe I'm just too much of a cheapskate, but i figure if those things are still working, why get rid of them? We truly do live in a "throw away society". Seems very wasteful to me.

Thank goodness there are people who do hang on to some stuff! Where would we be without them?

hillndalefan
Victor I

Post by hillndalefan »

I agree with all the above. My method is to buy the things I enjoy listening
to. As a musician, that means that often my favorites are not the big $$$
records others might be wild about.
The big thing is that I enjoy my collection and it's not often a day goes
by that I don't play some of my records. Bob Ault

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Big Beat wrote:I know what you mean about preserving history, I feel that way sometimes when I find something old and unappreciated.

As an example, one record dealer I know recently threw away several hundred 1930's - 1940's swing records. Said that he had them for years and couldn't sell them, and they took up too much space. I pulled out a couple for myself before the garbage truck got them, but I couldn't take them all. Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Nat King Cole, Mills Brothers, early Sinatra on Columbia... Almost all the records were in near mint condition, each sleeve had a typewritten label with song titles, recording dates, personnel, and date & price purchased. Somebody once cared about this collection very much, but 50-60-70 years down the road it couldn't be given away. It's really sad, but it seems that the guy was basically right and there is no market for such stuff.
Almost a year ago, in a record store, I happened upon a collection of mostly swing band and jazz 78's. There were probably 500 records stored in milk crates in, underneath the browser bins in the store.

All M/NM condition, kept in album binders, organized by artist. Someone's collection that was very well cared for.

I went through it all and grabbed about 60-70 records that I really wanted for, what was in the end, approximately 40 cents each, and left the rest.
I went back to that store about a month ago and all the records I left are still there, now with a thick coat of dust on them.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

A while back I called an antiques place that specialized in appraising and buying up the contents of estate sales, to inquire about 78's.

I was told flatly that when they obtain 78's as part of a 'lot' (or whatever) that they throw them away. Really irksome to me, because I'm sure they have no idea of exactly what they might be tossing, to be gone forever.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Well, to avoid having things like that thrown away, I've made myself rather well known locally with some estate sale people and antique dealers as well. I don't typically get great leads on much, but I have rescued thousands of 78s from getting tossed, good stuff, too! Just this summer I was given a few thousand classical (mostly acoustic opera) 78s that were landfill bound. I was glad to have them, the collection had some great stuff: Mauve Melbas, Red "Patti" label Victors, some master pressed IRCCs (Victors) etc etc. This was someone's collection and it was going to the dump! When I get a collection like this, I typically go through it, keep what I want and ebay what is worth ebaying that I can't use and give away the rest to other collectors, donate to the local charity shop and of course supply them with machines I sell.

I'm still going through this particualar collection, since my space is limited lately, a lot of it is still packed up.

Sean

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

You are absolutely right Nash! I still have a Turntable, casstte deck, and a CD player. Plus a TV with a built in VCR. Even though, there are now BlueRay Players, Ipod's, and mp3's.

If collectors like ourselves, did nothing to preserve these records. Then who would?

Paul