Columba Royal Blue Clean Opera record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

Columba Royal Blue Clean Opera record

Post by melvind »

For those that tolerate Opera ;) like me this is a YouTube video of a very clean 1930s record. The singer is Norwegian soprano Eidé Norena and I had never even heard of her before I acquired this record. I like her voice very much and this aria is a fun one to listen to especially on such a quiet Columbia mid-1930s blue record. I could not find an exact recording date for either side of this record. If anyone knows I would love to update the YouTube info to include the correct date.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC2S1CtjKiM[/youtubehd]

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Re: Columba Royal Blue Clean Opera record

Post by oldphonographsteve »

Judging from the label I would agree it is from the mid-1930s, though issued sometime between 1932 and 1936.

-Stephen

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Eide Norena 1884-1968 (real name Karolina Hansen) made her first recordings before WW1 for Pathé and Swedish HMV, as Kaja Eide.

Most of her career was with the Paris Opera and Opera-Comique, and most of her later recordings were made for Odeon and French HMV throughout the 1930's. She retired in 1939. Until viewing your post I was not aware that she had ever recorded for Columbia.

Her records are not easy to find, but I heartily recommend the CD transfers of her Odeon and HMV recordings on Nimbus NI7821.
Attachments
NI7821.jpg
NI7821.jpg (10.57 KiB) Viewed 714 times

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

The other side of the record is from Les Huguenots. I know this is on YouTube from the Odeon record but it is different than this version. The Columbia record is in great shape and both sides were obviously recorded in Paris with French conductors.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oye6I3M1pBY[/youtubehd]