12 inch Blue Columbia Record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
victorthesixth
Victor I

12 inch Blue Columbia Record

Post by victorthesixth »

I found some of these records while going through a stash of mine. Are they more valuable than regular records?

Thanks

V6

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: 12 inch Blue Columbia Record

Post by gramophone-georg »

victorthesixth wrote:I found some of these records while going through a stash of mine. Are they more valuable than regular records?

Thanks

V6
Depends on what is on them. Classical?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

gramophone-georg wrote:
victorthesixth wrote:I found some of these records while going through a stash of mine. Are they more valuable than regular records?

Thanks

V6
Depends on what is on them. Classical?

not uncommon for their 1930's classical sets

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

My experience is not vast with the Columbia blue records and I believe virtually all of the ones I have are opera with a few instrumental classical. I know in opera collecting circles the recordings from the mid-30s on Blue Columbia records are rare and sought after. The combination of few records produced and the ultra quiet pressings make them very collectible. They were not made for very many years and many of them came out later on black Columbias pressings which are good, but not as quiet as the blue versions. When I find a Columbia blue records in good shape I always try to buy them.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

A lucky find would be either of Billie Holiday's first two issued sides, made with Benny Goodman's orchestra in 1933. Both were issued on the blue Columbia pressings.
Last edited by Wolfe on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victorthesixth
Victor I

Post by victorthesixth »

melvind wrote:My experience is not vast with the Columbia blue records and I believe virtually all of the ones I have are opera with a few instrumental classical. I know in opera collecting circles the recordings from the mid-30s on Blue Columbia records are rare and sought after. The combination of few records produced and the ultra quiet pressings make them very collectible. They were not made for very many years and many of them came out later on black Columbias pressings which are good, but not as quiet as the blue versions. When I find a Columbia blue records in good shape I always try to buy them.
Thanks

I got four in excellent condition. I am debating on if I should sell them or not.

V6

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

melvind wrote:My experience is not vast with the Columbia blue records and I believe virtually all of the ones I have are opera with a few instrumental classical. I know in opera collecting circles the recordings from the mid-30s on Blue Columbia records are rare and sought after. The combination of few records produced and the ultra quiet pressings make them very collectible. They were not made for very many years and many of them came out later on black Columbias pressings which are good, but not as quiet as the blue versions. When I find a Columbia blue records in good shape I always try to buy them.

Huh it appears in my stack from Europe I have a few of these what looks to be opera. Good to know lol
J.F.