Some 78s I found unpacking

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
EdisonWizard
Victor III

Some 78s I found unpacking

Post by EdisonWizard »

You may have seen my post in machines buying the victor l door. Today I realized I had some records, specifically 78s that came with a record cabinet I bought from an old couple that their family had imported long ago from Europe. So I decided to go unpack them and actually look at them. I can take more pics, but almost all of them are classical, all mint condition in the original sleeves. Some are one sided, all 12 in, HMV and victor..but I recognized this one! I played it on my DD with a 78rpm reproducer adapter and I was shocked at how there is almost no surface noise like most of my other records I had before. Idk if it's because they are somewhat new, but it was interesting to hear what they may have sounded like back then when they were new.

Just an interesting tidbit to me. I also have a bunch I forgot I had but didn't have time to go thru before lunch.
Attachments
20171220_143409.jpg
J.F.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Some 78s I found unpacking

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

They seem like good records and should play well on the Victrola when you get it.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I'm not sure about British pressings but German Victor/ HMV pressings are often laminated, which gives a quieter playing surface.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

British HMV records are usually in better condition and quieter than their US counterparts... maybe people took better care of them and didn't play them with rusty nails...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Curt A wrote:British HMV records are usually in better condition and quieter than their US counterparts... maybe people took better care of them and didn't play them with rusty nails...

I'll be honest, I was very surprised. It was almost like I was playing a 33 record...there was almost no noise. Back when I had a HMV and was playing my old Brunswick records I had the surface noise was so loud, you had to close the lid to hear the record well lol.
J.F.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

"O-HI-O" by Harry Lauder? Would not have expected that title by him. Cool.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Ohio was also issued by Victor on a double sided blue label batwing. Ironically I just played and shelved a copy of it last night.

As far as UK HMV discs are concerned, most are NOT laminated. Once you get to the mid 20s, HMV was using less costly shellac fillers that tend to make them far more noisy than the US counterparts. Subjection to dampness makes them even noisier. This continued up to the 50s. An HMV pressing that hasn't been subjected to exremeties, however, will sound just great. I own lots of them with the crackle issue, though, and the only way to get past it is to use a larger stylus for electrical playback. I use a 4 mil which does well most of the time to eliminate or at least minimize it.

Sean

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

As a general rule, HMV used more abrasives in the mix than Victor, so HMV's were harder wearing but noisier. This is why the compilers of historic CD transfers tend to seek out mint Victor pressings in preference to their HMV equivalents.

Columbia's laminated pressings were and are vastly superior in terms of surface noise, but if badly stored they can be vulnerable to lamination cracks in their old age.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Curt A wrote:British HMV records are usually in better condition and quieter than their US counterparts... maybe people took better care of them and didn't play them with rusty nails...
I should preface this by saying: Based on my experience with many British HMV records, they are in better condition and quieter... your results may vary.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife