Paul Whiteman "Potato Head" Labels

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Paul Whiteman "Potato Head" Labels

Post by gramophone-georg »

Inigo wrote:
Hailey wrote:I believe that I have a few 12 records with this label if any of you guys are interested.
Ufff... I'd love to have a copy of melancholy baby and the man I love on potato label, if it was issued in this form. But I live in Madrid Spain, so shipping would be very expensive for only one record. My copy of this record is a Spanish issue on the Spanish Regal label. A very interesting copy for historic reasons. Columbia label in Spain was a very different Enterprise from the European labels. It was created by an impresario who made the arrangements with British and American Columbia in 1923 to issue their records in Spain. But the arrangement was done so American Columbia retained the rights for the use of the name Columbia in Spain and our agent should use the brand Regal instead. This Record is Regal RS series, one of the very first numbers in 12 inches. So very interesting. My copy was badly warped, and the sound was not very good. But recently I got a new Stanton 78 stylus with which the record sounds surprisingly good. It was a great surprise.

Inigo.
I feel your pain on the shipping cost issue... I don't know what's happened in the last year with postage and shipping rates but it's really starting to cost me sales, something that seems to be a "new normal" after decades in mail order and online selling. It's crazy. I recently had a buyer in the UK buy a Louis Armstrong Book Of The Month Club LP set for $10 USD, but shipping killed the deal at $60 USD!

Yet Amazon can ship stuff for minimal cost, and then there's the USPS "E-Packet" deal with China. THAT is the reason our postage is so high. They are gouging us regular sellers to make up for it.

Media Mail is still good for records in USA but I have to wonder for how long... and, of course, that isn't available for overseas.

It's a real issue.

Different rant, but... I get a feeling that's why lots of really great collectibles are not selling these days.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

That's it, gramophone George. When I buy records abroad, the only way to make shipping costs reasonable is too buy 10-15 78s in a box. This lowers the shipping costs to $3.00 or so for each record, which is not to much if the records are valuable somehow. But for instance, I've just bought a box of records from an English collector, that costed half a dollar each (eleven pieces). Shipping was in the order of $25 which makes a total of $3.00 each, still a fair figure. But when I get records from Nauck, in TX, they usually cost me $5/$6 each, plus near $40 for shipping to Spain (a box with 10-15 78s). That makes a total of near $150 for fifteen 78s, not cheap. I usually buy 78s in Madrid flea market at $4 a piece. :roll:
Inigo

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I would love to see Madrid! They have a great art museum there of course. And Portugal too of course. When I think of Madrid, I think of that great Russian composer, Glinka's, A Night in Madrid, and Rimsky-Korsakov's Rhapsody Espanol! Also of course DeFalla's El Sombrero de Tres Picos!