Found a Couple Hidden Fletcher Henderson Sides

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Found a Couple Hidden Fletcher Henderson Sides

Post by CDBPDX »

I revisited a box of records from a superb collection of 78s I acquired in October and discovered some hidden gems that escaped my attention the first time I picked through the box, 2 Silvertone sides where Fletcher Henderson (one of my favorites) was disguised as Sid Terry's Collegians playing 'Hard Hearted Hannah' & 'Then I'll Be Happy'.

A second look at another box revealed 3 more gems I overlooked the first time, Columbia 1819-D featuring Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys, Brunswick 7501 featuring Teddy Wilson with Billie Holiday from her first Brunswick recording session in 1935, and Victor 26220 with Dicky Wells accompanied by Django Reinhart (another of my favorites).

Now I'm thinking I need to revisit all the boxes from this collection, about 45 more boxes, and pay a bit more attention. Who knows what treasures are yet to be discovered. This could take months. YeeHaa!

By the way, I posted digitized recordings of these discoveries on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/cdbpdx/videos

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Re: Found a Couple Hidden Fletcher Henderson Sides

Post by oldphonographsteve »

Nice! Fletcher Henderson has also always been a favorite of mine.

Stephen

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Found a Couple Hidden Fletcher Henderson Sides

Post by audiophile102 »

CDBPDX wrote:I revisited a box of records from a superb collection of 78s I acquired in October and discovered some hidden gems that escaped my attention the first time I picked through the box, 2 Silvertone sides where Fletcher Henderson (one of my favorites) was disguised as Sid Terry's Collegians playing 'Hard Hearted Hannah' & 'Then I'll Be Happy'.

A second look at another box revealed 3 more gems I overlooked the first time, Columbia 1819-D featuring Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys, Brunswick 7501 featuring Teddy Wilson with Billie Holiday from her first Brunswick recording session in 1935, and Victor 26220 with Dicky Wells accompanied by Django Reinhart (another of my favorites).

Now I'm thinking I need to revisit all the boxes from this collection, about 45 more boxes, and pay a bit more attention. Who knows what treasures are yet to be discovered. This could take months. YeeHaa!

By the way, I posted digitized recordings of these discoveries on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/cdbpdx/videos

Cliff
I would love to own more Fletcher Henderson and Django Reinhart records, The Billy Holiday record sounds special.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."