Question about a Brunswick record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
EdisonWizard
Victor III

Re: Question about a Brunswick record

Post by EdisonWizard »

Here's the record on how it is now. After this play there was no residue...so maybe it was just dirty...not sure.

https://youtu.be/965F2sZiBvI
J.F.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

EdisonWizard wrote:My reproducer is rebuilt and sounds amazing, im only changing the isolator.
The currently available isolators for Exhibition reproduced are pretty awful, for they are far too hard. The originals were 35-40D (Durometer hardless). The currently available parts are closer to 75D.

The isolators commomly available for the Victrola No. 2 and Victrola No.4 reproduced are likewise too stiff, though good, soft units may be had from our member "Chunny bh", but then it is simplicity itself to mould ones own using castable silicone or Butyl rubber.

The Exhibition's poor needle point compliance is rather hard on electric records. A later, more compliant sound box forvuse with thrse discs is inexpensive "record insurance", and has historic precedent.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Ima start searching eBay for a No4 or such like y'all said. Hopefully I can find one for a decent price.
J.F.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Another reason to limit playing this record on an early Victrola is the tracking error of the tone arm itself. Victor didn't really address tracking error until part way through the Orthophonic era.

Personally, I keep two copies of my favorite later records, a pristine version for playback on the modern turntable and a "Victrola copy". That way I've got both bases covered. :mrgreen:

Regards,
Martin

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

martinola wrote:Another reason to limit playing this record on an early Victrola is the tracking error of the tone arm itself. Victor didn't really address tracking error until part way through the Orthophonic era.

Personally, I keep two copies of my favorite later records, a pristine version for playback on the modern turntable and a "Victrola copy". That way I've got both bases covered. :mrgreen:

Regards,
Martin
Agreed. As time passes and more people keep playing even some "common" stuff with steel needles, less and less "archive" copies exist. I do exactly what you do. Most people think I'm crazy for doing this, but I don't care.

Sean

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

If anyone has a copy of this record I will definitely buy it!! It took me forever to find this one...so if you have one PM me please!
J.F.

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

I think these type of Brunswicks seem to have a soft surface and don't wear well, especially on acoustic machines.