Columbia TED LEWIS Sleeve!

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Columbia TED LEWIS Sleeve!

Post by CDBPDX »

Just found my first Columbia TED LEWIS sleeve! I'm still re-digging through that collection I acquired in October and am finding wonderful stuff!
Attachments
tn-600_Sleeve_TED-LEWIS-COLUMBIA_01_0001.JPG
tn-600_Sleeve_TED-LEWIS-COLUMBIA_01_0001.JPG (333.09 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
tn-600_Sleeve_TED-LEWIS-COLUMBIA_02_0001.JPG
tn-600_Sleeve_TED-LEWIS-COLUMBIA_02_0001.JPG (373.68 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Columbia TED LEWIS Sleeve!

Post by gramophone-georg »

Both the label and the sleeve are in really nice shape. Those black/ silver labels often didn't age well and the sleeves dried out and crumbled on the edges.

"Lewisada Blues" is a fun one.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Ted Lewis is my favourite American band leader. Many of his records were issued on UK Columbia and are reasonably easy to find, but sadly not in that colourful sleeve which was probably exclusive to the American market.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Ted Lewis delivers the goods. One of my faves that I have is one called San on a Columbia Flag label.

Flip side is She's Everybody's Sweetheart which has a little vocal turn by Lewis himself.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

<post deleted by OP>
Last edited by CharliePhono on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I love the Sleeve! Columbia sure did come up with great graphics both in specialty sleeves and in their advertising. This is a true gem! I'm not a huge fan of Ted Lewis, but I would love to have this one!
Last edited by melvind on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I can tell you are not a fan if you spell his name "Louis". Another great Columbia sleeve as well as label is the Paul Whiteman "Potato Head" Columbias!
Attachments
paul-whiteman-potato-head-electrical-78-columbia-2010-nm-nice_9395994.jpg
paul-whiteman-potato-head-electrical-78-columbia-2010-nm-nice_9395994.jpg (50.13 KiB) Viewed 1521 times

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

marcapra wrote:Another great Columbia sleeve as well as label is the Paul Whiteman "Potato Head" Columbias!
I found one of those sleeves and here is the reverse of mine. It seems to be a rather 'generic' sleeve, specific only to the 'NEW PROCESS' and 'VIVA-TONAL' records and the latest machines to play them, but it doesn't seem to be specific to any particular artist. Could this sleeve have been used for several artists records, including the 'potato head' labels?
Attachments
tn-600_Sleeve_COLUMBIA_VT-1_Rev.JPG
tn-600_Sleeve_COLUMBIA_VT-1_Rev.JPG (314.3 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
Last edited by CDBPDX on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I think by "label" you meant "sleeve". The label would be on the record. But that's a good point. I've only seen those sleeves on "Potato Heads", but you are right. It doesn't even mention Paul Whiteman on the sleeve, whereas the Ted Lewis sleeve is totally personalized. Was your sleeve on a Potato Head record? I'm not an expert on sleeves, so I don't know. Maybe one of the 1920s discographies has the answer?

CDBPDX
Victor V

Post by CDBPDX »

marcapra wrote:I think by "label" you meant "sleeve".
Oops! That's what I get for typing late at night.. Thanks!
marcapra wrote:But that's a good point. I've only seen those sleeves on "Potato Heads", but you are right. It doesn't even mention Paul Whiteman on the sleeve, whereas the Ted Lewis sleeve is totally personalized. Was your sleeve on a Potato Head record? I'm not an expert on sleeves, so I don't know. Maybe one of the 1920s discographies has the answer?
I've only seen 2 of these sleeves and neither were housing Columbia records.

Cliff