First live acoustical heavy metal cylinder session

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

First live acoustical heavy metal cylinder session

Post by edisonphonoworks »

https://youtu.be/fR4BuM6dP44

This is to my knowledge the first acoustical live heavy metal recording session. I used a .008" thick glass diaphragm, and 33mm in diameter. No noise reduction used, it was miked with a Neumann U-87 microphone into pro tools.

rgordon939
Victor V

Re: First live acoustical heavy metal cylinder session

Post by rgordon939 »

Pretty cool.

Rich Gordon

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Interesting process and recording... just not my taste. :shock: :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Very amusing!

I've got the impression that the growl voice was more hearable during the instant playback in the studio, than in the final electronic "hi-fi" playback. Were those two different takes perhaps?

I can't believe that you could find such a cute drummer! That's rarer than heavy metal on cylinder, I might say. ;)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The look on their faces is priceless...if the phonograph was made to make men glad, then Mr. Borri's machines are still doing their job!

Actually the cylinder itself turned out way better than I thought, fidelity wise. Had he sung more clearly it might have picked up better but this isn't the Peerless Quartet we're talking about now...

Mr. Borri good luck! I have been reading about your adventures in phonographs for years and they never cease to amaze. I do hope one day that the phonograph goes back into production, as I see a rare and untapped chance to make big money on the phonograph among the younger generation. (They are looking for a physical medium of music.)

The immediacy of a phonograph recording as well as the simplicity of the equipment lends itself well to being brought back. What we need, is a simple disc recording lathe and for playback basically a modern build of a Victor II...or Edison Home or Standard.

There is a vast potential for new advances in the fields of obsolescence!

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

I was very amazed by the fidelity, of the metal cylinders and if you watched the introductory video recording acoustic guitars, you will also notice noise, and the reason was the studio at first was in the low 60s, and I drove 3 hours in sub zero weather, my heater did not work well, so I could heat the cylinders a bit, but I did not want to push it as they were still frozen at first I recommend when people receive blanks in the winter to not even open the box for a day. We started setting up at 11:30 am and the first recordings about 1pm, still the equipment was cold, and the recorder was set also to record the loud spl level of a full metal band .008" does not record acoustic guitars well, I could have changed to a .0065 diaphragm however then I would have to change back to the .008 anyway. What I wanted to come out well did, beyond my imagination. I am sure if played back electrically the bass goes very low, I put rubber cement down, and burned it, then the diaphragm and then more rubber cement and burned it. Is tricky to do without cracking the glass. By 5:00 when we recorded the metal cylinders also the studio finally was about 75, and the blanks 85, like they should. It really shows the difference in how they cut in different temperatures, if you even have tried to cut frozen butter and room temperature butter, you get the analogy.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

We need more good music like this on cylinders. Image

spike
Victor Jr

Post by spike »

:cry: :?:
WDC wrote:We need more good music like this on cylinders. Image

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

From the standpoint of wax cylinder recording technology, this is a major step further, in that Shawn has learned yet more about horn placement, dynamics, and cutting head mechanics. This is just great, although I do not care for the music particularly, I really enjoyed the presentation and also the reaction of the musicians. Perhaps we have some converts to the hobby here.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

It certainly was interesting. The reactions of people in general vary greatly, but most thought it an enlightening educational presentation. I am using a very unusual recorder too, it is a studio recorder, not a home one, One collector commented that he was not sure what it was, as he had never seen a head like, that, and wonder what kind of "reproducer" it was. Certainly they were not sold to the public. Yes I learned a lot, about horn placement and also about traveling with cylinders for recording in the winter. If I need to do this again in the winter, I am keeping the cylinders in a cooler to insulate them from the cold, and figure out some means of keeping the inside to 75 or 80 80 degrees, perhaps using a few chemical hand warmers in towels or something similar. The noise comes from recording on frozen blanks, tearing the wax, rather than cutting it.