Caruso Victor 5008 record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

Caruso Victor 5008 record

Post by melvind »

I recently had the chance to pick up 3 more 5000 series Caruso records. I thought I would make a video of 5008 Celeste Aida for grins. The record is in decent shape but as with all 5000 series records I have found there is a lot of noise in the opening grooves. I have always imagined this is from early play on front mount machines. This is the first Caruso record released in the USA by Victor in March 1903. It was recorded in Milan by G&T in November 1902 in a hotel room.

It was recorded at 67.90 RPM so using that number and my piano I got the recording in the correct key. It sounds ridiculous at 78 RPM but I imagine most people have heard it that way for many decades.

Anyway, it is a fun record for me and I hope you enjoy it (after the noisy opening) as much as I do. For a record made 115+ years ago I think it is pretty great.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzCNEJ7bHQ[/youtubehd]
https://youtu.be/2vzCNEJ7bHQ

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Caruso Victor 5008 record

Post by Wolfe »

Grand Hotel, Milan. Still standing.

Thanks for the upload.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Very nice, especially the slide show! Thanks for making and posting it!

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

These 5000 series imported pressings are very hard to find, especially in decent condition.
Good score!

Steven

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Viva-voce wrote:These 5000 series imported pressings are very hard to find, especially in decent condition.
Good score!

Steven
Even the USA red Monarchs are scarce. So are the red Deluxes. If anyone knows of a nice stash hook a brotha up! :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Yup, there are most def a few more titles of those I wouldn't mind having!

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I'd like to have the record that was waxed right after this one at this session, the Cielo e mar from Ponchielli's La Gioconda. One of my straight up faves of the early piano accompanied Caruso discs, yo.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Wolfe wrote:I'd like to have the record that was waxed right after this one at this session, the Cielo e mar from Ponchielli's La Gioconda. One of my straight up faves of the early piano accompanied Caruso discs, yo.
I have been working so hard on getting my 5000 series collection completed (2 to go!) I had almost forgotten the just as rare if not more rare 91000 series Caruso records. I checked my list and found the early Cielo e mar on 91008 which I am assuming is made from the same or similar stampers as the 5000 series but came out months later with a new numbering scheme. I will work on capturing the record soon (though pretty rough), but here are some pictures. It has a record label on the back with a January 1904 date so I assume it came out around that date sometime.

BTW... if anyone has an extra 5009 or 5014 they would part with I am very interested!

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Here is the link to the noisy but great 91008 Cielo e mar recording: https://youtu.be/dT71UCUV6HY