Caruso Emerson 6 inch record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

Caruso Emerson 6 inch record

Post by melvind »

Here is a YouTube video of the rare Emerson 6 inch vertical recording by Caruso from Tosca. It is only a small portion of the aria since it would not all fit on a 6 inch disc record. It sounds pretty terrible and is pretty soft and hard to digitize. But, i did what I could with it. There is a lot of information about the record in the notes for the YouTube video. I think it is an interesting record and the notes provide some great historic information about the Emerson record company. It is definitely not one of those Caruso records you run into in every antique shop in the country!

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prkUAhry2mM[/youtubehd]
https://youtu.be/prkUAhry2mM
20180207_085749.png
20180207_085742.png
20180207_085925.jpg

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Caruso Emerson 6 inch record

Post by Wolfe »

This record was dubbed from the AICC cylinder (which itself was a dub) is what I understand.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

This thread reminds me of the day I found two copies of this record:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=17425

A crazy story... I've never played my copy. Thanks for posting it, Dan!

George P.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Wow, George. I don't remember seeing that before and when I saw the broken copy I almost panicked. But, who in the world but you could ever find two copies of one of the rarest Caruso records ever in one day! Thanks for getting the older post back out there.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

melvind wrote: But, who in the world but you could ever find two copies of one of the rarest Caruso records ever in one day!
I think you mean, who in the world but I would find a broken record and make a posting out of it? ;)

George P.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

phonogfp wrote:
melvind wrote: But, who in the world but you could ever find two copies of one of the rarest Caruso records ever in one day!
I think you mean, who in the world but I would find a broken record and make a posting out of it? ;)

George P.
Well, FWIW, George gave me the broken copy after my inquiry. It's on my "someday" list to restore. It's in 3 pieces and dished, but is well worth restoring. I just bought some heavy panes of tempered glass to help flatten the pieces.