78s related to D-Day

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
78recordpicker
Victor I

78s related to D-Day

Post by 78recordpicker »

I've got quite a few LPs, incl early 1950s issues, but don't recall any 78s directly related, music, speeches, recordings, etc Quite curious with the 75th anniv. coming up Wed. What does everyone have?

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: 78s related to D-Day

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

They're out there. Columbia recorded some 12" Masterworks sets with all that stuff in them. Wish I had a binder of 'em.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

NBC put out a private recording set that was not meant to be sold to the public. It is a really cool set. I Will be listening to the whole thing (almost an hour) on June 6th. Here is what the cover looks like.

-Travis
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (30.75 KiB) Viewed 1210 times

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Also of possible interest: The complete NBC broadcast of D-day can be heard at

https://archive.org/details/NBCComplete ... heNews.mp3

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

It's ironic the timing of this, but I was just going through a bunch of boxes of records I got from a winter auction this past weekend. These aren't D-Day specific, but they have relevance.

Mike
Attachments
ARMY1.jpg
ARMY2.jpg
ARMY3.jpg
ARMY4.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

D-Day is a solemn occasion. To contemplate the thousands of families - on both sides - whose lives were forever changed by the events of that day is sobering. But it was the beginning of Europe's liberation, which was (and is) cause for celebration as well. It's a day that illustrates war's extremes.

My flag will be flying!

George P.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

phonogfp wrote:D-Day is a solemn occasion. To contemplate the thousands of families - on both sides - whose lives were forever changed by the events of that day is sobering. But it was the beginning of Europe's liberation, which was (and is) cause for celebration as well. It's a day that illustrates war's extremes.

My flag will be flying!

George P.

Well said George.

Phonomike: Those effects records seem really neat. Do they sound authentic? Either way I guess I will start having to hunt down those effects records for my modest ww1/ww2 record collection.