New 78's Possibilities...

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: New 78's Possibilities...

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Does it have to be old-fashioned music?

Let's not fall into the trap Edison did when he forbad Jazz music on his record label--letting Victor Talking Machine steal away the profits. Certainly old music should be re-released but there are likely some indie bands and whatnot that would enjoy recording--like what Shawn Borri did with the metal session. My favorite jam? Nope. But look how much fun they had doing it.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Curt A wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:New wind-ups. More records. Bands getting involved.

THIS is what I'm talkin' about! The technology is only as dead as we allow it to be.
It's great to be optimistic and there may be bands that are willing to allow 78s to be recorded, BUT financial backers and managers are looking mainly for PROFIT, which is not going to happen given the relatively small market of phonograph collectors... If they could think outside the box of business as usual, this might be looked on as a type of promotional thing that could spur interest in the music and maybe even a resurgence of interest in windup phonographs, after all what is more eco-friendly than playing music without using power to do it...?

Not to mention that most of these hipster bands wont be popular with most phonogragh collectors. Jazz seems to be coming back with the younger crowd, but mostly 1950ish stuff.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Frank,
Thanks for the info on the bands, I'll be reaching out to them shortly.

Regarding cutting newer style music to disc, I don't know. Electro-swing would be great, and I love rockabilly but don't know that these newer styles would really sell.

PS. Postmodern Jukebox was kind enough to correspond with me, but we mutually agreed that sales wouldn't even cover the legal expenses. It turns out Disney now owns Squirrel Nut Zippers music, so I'm not going to even bother contacting them... so that leaves small, local bands...

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

DonnieJ,
I may have put my request in the wrong place but I'm hot to trot on that pink, Edison labeled DD of the Georgia Melodians you put up on YouiTube.
Thanks,
John