Vulcan Cylinders are an objective benchmark of awesomeness.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Vulcan Cylinders are an objective benchmark of awesomeness.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

For any of you who, like me, didn't try a Vulcan Record, I can now honestly say they are excellent.

I got both flavors--two and four minute. No Concert or Twentieth Century because I don't have a use for those (no player.)

One cylinder was "Down South," by B.A. Rolfe, recorded in 1929 by the Palais d'Or Orchestra on DD and dubbed to cylinder. Anyone who collects Blue Amberols is fine with a dub now and then. The other two were 2-minutes: "Too Much Mustard One-Step" and "La Carnauba Waltz" by Matt Tolentino's orchestra and Matt Redman, guitarist.

So the first thing I did was crank up the Model A Standard and throw on "La Carnauba." Quiet, somewhat scratchy--but this is a guitar record. I also have a 14" horn and a Model C, and a phonograph with desperate need of an overhaul. Moving it to a different part of the room improved the acoustics--I could hear Matt Redman's fingertips sliding down the steel strings of his l9ll Gibson. Absolutely Wonderful--it was justification in itself to own a two-minute machine.

Next, a bit of local talent: Matt Tolentino on accordion, backed up by his famous jazz orchestra. Again, scratchy and low volume (this is part of life with a l904 record player:) )but the fidelity was great when I put it in that sweet spot in the room. It's not the booming volume of a Victrola but it's the first time a digital recording has been played on that old Edison, I guarantee you! Probably needs a tuneup but that's not the record's fault--just a 114-year-old record player.

Finally I wanted to go long. I fired up the Amberola 30 and threw on "Down South." Had to pop the gear cover and fiddle with the speed a little bit to slow it down properly but what fidelity! There was the sort of high-pitched whistle faintly under the static, telling me without a doubt that this was an early electric record. I consider that the sound of the late 1920s. The instruments all came clear. It had the typical sound of an early recording--the charming effect of hearing a live performance. The banjo section was quiet, just as a real banjo would be dwarfed by the other instruments. I like it! I really like it!

As for durability, picture a combination of an Albany Indestructible without the steel rings, and a core like a Gold Moulded wax cylinder. Then imagine that it is made of stuff that is tougher than John Wayne and silent as a tomb at midnight. They literally shipped them in an envelope--airmailed all the way from England wrapped in one layer of very thin bubble wrap. The boxes weren't even scuffed--they're durable too.

These are really great!

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Re: Vulcan Cylinders are an objective benchmark of awesomene

Post by Victrolacollector »

I totally agree, I have been a fan of these new reproduction records for years. These records are strong and play nice and loud as any other cylinder record. While the prices are higher, they definitely are a bargain in comparison to the price of originals, and you actually get the titles that are hot. Down South has that great late 1920's sound, I really like that intro.

billybob62
Victor III

Re: Vulcan Cylinders are an objective benchmark of awesomene

Post by billybob62 »

Don't forget Norman Bruderhofer when looking for cylinders. They are not only excellent but are reproductions often of rare and expensive originals.
Ask him to email you when he puts out something new. I have already asked to do so for myself.