Unusual Edison Blue Amberol Cylinder

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Unusual Edison Blue Amberol Cylinder

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

I recently puchased several machines and a batch of cylinders at a local estate sale. one of the cylinders is a bit of an oddity to me. It's a common Edison Blue amberol #1743 "Trail of the Lonesome Pine" but the oddity is this: It has no plaster inside, instead it has metal rings on both ends and has a fiborous core much like you'd find on an Indestructible cylinder. The end appears to have been crimped over the metal end and the other end is short and doesn't seem to be stretched over the length of the cylinder like it should. I think it is odd and wanted to ask if any of you have seen anything like this before (?)

Any insights or speculations would be appreciated. It doesn't have any splits or tears in the celluloid, except the end doesn't wrap over the bottom.

?? Ideas, ??

Thanks,
ColoradoPhonograf

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Unusual Edison Blue Amberol Cylinder

Post by gramophoneshane »

Very strange indeed. It's almost as if the plaster core has been removed, and the core of an indestructible has been inserted to keep it usable.
The metal ring seems to be the same design as an indestructible, but none of mine have the join in the cardboard like is visible in your picture.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

I have the same exact cylinder in the same condition and didn't know what it was all about either. Maybe someone can help.

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

Ron Dethlefson would probably know. He dosen't belong to this board though.
Dave

hillndalefan
Victor I

Post by hillndalefan »

It's interesting that two collectors have this record with the same substitution for the original plaster-of-Paris. My copy has the usual expected standard Edison treatment. I never thought Edison did this. It is the expected interior for an Albany, N.Y. made Indestructible.
I have a copy of another Blue Amberol, of Creatore's Band playing the Creatore's Band March which has the celluloid not reaching the back end and rolling over it as was the usual pattern. Apparently this happened once in a while and someone took advantage of it. Bob Ault ;)

dav
Victor Jr

Post by dav »

it sounds to me that being made like that they may be master recordings that copies were made from