Fun Record- Red Nichols

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Fun Record- Red Nichols

Post by gramophone-georg »

Here's a crappy pixilated video of my Vic 5 playing Red Nichols and his Five Pennies performing a great hot version of "Sugar- (That Sugar Baby Of Mine)" from 1933 on Brunswick 6534. It *might* be Goodman noodling on clarinet, and it's either Jack Teagarden or Miff Mole on trombone. My ears say Tea but it's really late, I've had a nightcap, and I'm too damn lazy to pull out Rust's American Jazz Discography or "BG On The Record". Sorry.

Ernie Mathias is the vocalist and I think even VanEpsFan1914 will enjoy this fox trot with vocal... a lot. I wonder if the ghost of Bix is in Red's cornet on this date; he's got Bix's mellow bell like tone down pat and even his phrasing is Bixier than normal IMO.

I made the video to demo the early HMV No. 4 brass reproducer I'm trying to sell and I think it sounds pretty good so I thought I'd throw it out to the lions to tear apart.

Enjoy! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdH_f5RnyQI
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

GlensterTX
Victor O

Re: Fun Record- Red Nichols

Post by GlensterTX »

This was recorded November 28, 1932 in Chicago, and it featured Nichols with his "road" band, as opposed to his New York recordings with the local heavy-hitters like Goodman and the Dorseys. Per Rust, the trombone is Alex Palocsay; it's pretty clearly neither Mole (who was on the outs with Nichols at this time and really didn't like to travel) nor Teagarden (who was with Whiteman at this time, I believe, and Whiteman frowned on his men playing non-Whiteman side jobs). The clarinetist is most likely either Ted Klein or Joe Catalyne, both alto sax players, with Fred Morrow, from Nichols' earliest versions of the Five Pennies, on tenor sax.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Fun Record- Red Nichols

Post by gramophone-georg »

GlensterTX wrote:This was recorded November 28, 1932 in Chicago, and it featured Nichols with his "road" band, as opposed to his New York recordings with the local heavy-hitters like Goodman and the Dorseys. Per Rust, the trombone is Alex Palocsay; it's pretty clearly neither Mole (who was on the outs with Nichols at this time and really didn't like to travel) nor Teagarden (who was with Whiteman at this time, I believe, and Whiteman frowned on his men playing non-Whiteman side jobs). The clarinetist is most likely either Ted Klein or Joe Catalyne, both alto sax players, with Fred Morrow, from Nichols' earliest versions of the Five Pennies, on tenor sax.
Right. Like I said I was too lazy to pull it out and check as it was the wee hours after a very long day. I hit on 1933 because of the catalog number being a 6500 series rather than a 6200- 6400. I see that "Heat Wave" recorded the same day looks to have not been issued till late '35 or early '36 with a 7500 cat number if I am remembering correctly.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek