78 Diamond Stylus Recommendation

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

78 Diamond Stylus Recommendation

Post by Victor A »

Hey everyone,

I read that playing 78s on modern turntables without the proper stylus installed does damage to the record.

Now, I'd like to know
  • What damage it does
  • If any of you have recommendations for a stylus that I can buy on Amazon?
Thanks
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

Squire
Victor Jr
Personal Text: You haven't stopped talking since I came here. You must've been vaccinated w/ a phonograph needle

Re: 78 Diamond Stylus Recommendation

Post by Squire »

What turntable and cartridge are you using?

bfinan11
Victor I

Post by bfinan11 »

I've never heard it will damage records - the tracking force on a modern turntable is so much lighter than anything contemporary that it would seem surprising at that.

What I have heard is that the abrasive shellac of 78s wears down modern LP cartridges and quickly makes them sound like crap. Also that the wide needle of a 78 stylus can flatten the grooves of vinyl, especially LPs (the optimal 45 stylus is in between sizes)

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

I recently began shopping for a modern turntable and would love to know the answer to this question as well...

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Well, it depends on the turntable and cartridge. The new Audio Technica turntables come with a basic but good cartridge for the casual listener. They even have 3 mil 78 styli available for it for around $15 each which is a great price. I bought a few of them and they're great for sampling records or just casual playing.

If you are really serious, there are custom sizes available of many different sizes for various eras and makes of 78s. I have sizes from 1.1 mil up to 4.0 mil, but be prepared to shell out around $150 per.

It really depends on your budget and just how "serious" you want to get. It adds up fast, but to me, it was worth investing. For most, a basic 3 mil stylus is perfectly fine.

Sean

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Not Amazon, but how about checking out the offerings from a place such as Esoteric Sound ? Better range of decent affordable options than the super cheap Crosley type stuff you may encounter in the lower reaches of the price pool on Amazon. http://www.esotericsound.com/CartStyli.htm

I'm about to spring for a couple of the 'custom' size (2.0 mil and 4.0 mil) 78 tips for my Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge,, curious to try them. But at a 113.00 dollars apiece (minus cart) they may be more expensive than what you want. They are cheaper than the custom sizes for the Stanton or Shure carts, however. Those run around 150.00 or so. You probably just want a generic 2.5 or 3.0 mil for starters.

I don't think playing a 78 with a 'needle' meant for vinyl LP's will damage the 78 record, rather, the opposite.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

donniej wrote:I recently began shopping for a modern turntable and would love to know the answer to this question as well...
LP Gear sells the 3 speed Audio-Technica AT-LP120 with Nagaoka MP-110 for a very reasonable price. You'd still need to buy the 78 stylus for the cartridge. I don't own the Audio-Technica, but it appears to get generally very good reviews (for it's price point) from those that have bought it. The Nagaoka (which I do own) is a nice sounding little cartridge.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/ATLP120USBHIFIMP110.html

With stylus for the MP-110 cart https://www.lpgear.com/product/NMP0078.html

A cheaper option is the same turntable with Audio Technica AT95SE cart and it's associated 78 stylus.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/ATLP120USBHIFI.html

https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN9578.html

Nice to have pitch adjustment with that AT turntable, too, for accurate playback. Unless you're sticking with later era 78's only

Squire
Victor Jr
Personal Text: You haven't stopped talking since I came here. You must've been vaccinated w/ a phonograph needle

Post by Squire »

I've had an AT LP-190 for about a month. I got a second head shell and cartridge which I set up for 78's. i didn't get a high end cart because I don't have a very discerning ear and I'm not a hardcore collector. I just wanted a good player to listen to my records with. I'm very happy with my setup! My 78's sound great to me!

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I have the highly rated Grado 78 Cartridge. They have a number of stylus points to use with it for various periods of records and differing groove types. Google them, there are a lot of various articles and sources for them.

I was instantly impressed with the reduced static and fullness of the sound they produce.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I had one of those Grados and yes, it was nice. My only complaint was that after a few months of regular (ok, constant) use, the tip literally FELL OUT one day while I was playing it, and no, I wasn't playing a damages disc or anything. I'm sure it was likely a fluke, but I haven't replaced it since the AT 3 mil ones are so cheap and great for every day use from my experience.

Sean