Pathé Actuelle Claudia Muzio record and a question

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-voce
Victor III

Re: Pathé Actuelle Claudia Muzio record and a question

Post by Viva-voce »

And of course, since Galli-Curci never recorded in England, the newsreel footage was obviously for publicity purposes surrounding her well-publicized British tour of late 1924. Unfortunately by then, her lovely, lovely voice was already in decline.

Steven

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Viva-voce wrote:Yes I send my thanks also for posting this. I really enjoyed it along with the YouTube posts of Ponselle simulating a recording at the horn for the cameras as well as the similar 1924 footage of Galli-Curci in the studio filmed by British Pathé :)

Steven
I've never seen the Galli-Curci film. But those three that you mentioned are the only films of 'Golden Age' opera singers in the recording studio that I know of.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

melvind wrote:I made a recording and video of a Pathé Actuelle needle cut record this morning and I have some questions about how these records were made. It is very noisy and I would even say poor quality. The record is in near mint condition and there are not flaws visually on the record. But, it has a lot of rumble throughout and there are some very obvious low frequency thumps in various places of the record. Both sides have this same issue. This is not the type of thing I have encountered on worn records. I am quite sure the sound came from the manufacturing process.

I am assuming that Acutelle recordings that also came out on vertical cut records (as did this one) were made using some version of the Pantograph method by Pathé. While I have always thought Pathé records in general were pretty noisy, this seems worse than vertical cut record. Am I imagining this or is it a common problem with Pathé's needle cut records?

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n4b6I3dBuU[/youtubehd]
https://youtu.be/7n4b6I3dBuU
I had never noticed those problems on my copy. Took it off the shelf, played it on the electric machine in the music room (a Victor RE-75 with an RCA Victor "Higher Fidelity" pick up of 1936 vintage) and it sounded just fine. Then toil it over to a modern turntable, and it sounded like a complicated cat fight in a mustard mill.