And you thought the OKeh Laughing Record was obnoxious

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: And you thought the OKeh Laughing Record was obnoxious

Post by Inigo »

Melvind: as far as I've seen, these German Odeon sides were widely extended in the twenties, and in different couplings, by same Lindstrom labels and related ones as Okeh. My crying record Odeon copy (181019) has a famous laughing record on the other side, an earlier recording xBe-2682, recorded two years before in 1921. But this pressing bears a different number on the runout area, some 101xxx, from a different coupling.
The info about the two performers (man, woman and one violin player, who could be one of them) came from Chris Zwarg.
Dunno the people performing on the other side of your Okeh... Could you give me the matrix no. on the other side? Maybe we could do any search...
Inigo

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The point of this record escapes me, just like "Gloomy Sunday" (the Hungarian Suicide Song)... :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlMpdBJLo4o
Original Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBgLqHc3iw4

WARNING: over 100 people committed suicide after listening to this record, including the author/composer...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Thanks for sharing, I never knew that existed. I have a couple of copies of the Laughing Record, but crying, that is too sad.
I always wondered why they made the laughing record, and then a crying record? How many really sold? It seems early Okeh records are pretty scarce. Eventually Okeh did release some good titles.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Dan, What's on the other side of this record?
Harvey Kravitz

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

This record is giving me a sudden appreciation for hip- hop in the same way hip- hop changed my views on disco.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

The Wiener Schnitzel wasn't cooked just right, I bet that's what it was.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Phonofreak wrote:Dan, What's on the other side of this record?
Harvey Kravitz
Harvey, here is an image of the other side of the Crying Record. I didn't record it because it is pretty uninspiring. It is a violin duet with piano from Europe. I included the record label and the runout with its impressed info.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Victrolacollector wrote:Thanks for sharing, I never knew that existed. I have a couple of copies of the Laughing Record, but crying, that is too sad.
I always wondered why they made the laughing record, and then a crying record? How many really sold? It seems early Okeh records are pretty scarce. Eventually Okeh did release some good titles.
I know that the OKeh Laughing Record was in their catalog for quite a long time. There is a 45 rpm version of the same record released in the 1950s. So, it must have been a pretty popular record. Though I am not sure why. In my research I found that they recorded and released the Crying Record, originally in Europe then in the USA, because of the success of the Laughing Record.