Straigtening warped 78s

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
toysbyroy
Victor I

Straigtening warped 78s

Post by toysbyroy »

I found some Victor records that had apparently gotten hot and warped. I would like to try and save some of them. How could I get them to lie flat again? Thanks, Roy

Teak
Victor II

Re: Straigtening warped 78s

Post by Teak »

Put the record on a piece of glass and put it in the oven (or outside in direct sunlight during summertime) on a low temperature (ca 200°F ) setting till flat (couple of minutes). Caution, don't "overcook" it.

Jokes aside, its easily done!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Teak's right - it's easy. I use 2 pieces of 12" x 12" plate glass. A record is placed between the pieces, and put into an oven at 175 degrees F. 200 might work, but I'm a bit of a chicken. Sometimes it takes up to a half-hour at 175, but I've never damaged a record at that temperature.

George P.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

I use a thick steel plate on top of a pot of boiling water. Not enough temp control on an oven for my liking.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

I used the oven method several times for both 78s and even modern LPs. However, with LPs I have to ensure that it won't go over 60 °C, 55 °C to be on the safer side. And 75 °C has always been enough for 78s as well.

For proper control, I use a cheap digital thermometer with an external sensor that goes into the oven. Works great but must not be left unattended while the oven is on. I only use hot air mode which ensures the most even temperature distribution. It takes lots of time to let it cool down but the results have been really good so far.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I meant to try this technique when it was discussed previously but then forgot about it. Yesterday I took a badly warped 7" Zonophone disc that I display on my Zonophone A and heated it at 175 for 20 minutes. Piece of cake -- it's now perfect, and I love how the turntable pin snaps satisfyingly into place when I turn the disc. ;)

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I have used the plate glass method successfully, but both the record and the glass must be scrupulously clean. Any dust or debris such as pet hair will become embedded in the record surface when warm and will be impossible to remove when cool.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

TinfoilPhono wrote:I meant to try this technique when it was discussed previously but then forgot about it. Yesterday I took a badly warped 7" Zonophone disc that I display on my Zonophone A and heated it at 175 for 20 minutes. Piece of cake -- it's now perfect, and I love how the turntable pin snaps satisfyingly into place when I turn the disc. ;)
Glad it worked for you, Rene. I did exactly the same thing in January...a 7 inch Zonophone which was so warped the first half-inch or so couldn't be played. Perfect now!

George P.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

phonogfp wrote:
TinfoilPhono wrote:I meant to try this technique when it was discussed previously but then forgot about it. Yesterday I took a badly warped 7" Zonophone disc that I display on my Zonophone A and heated it at 175 for 20 minutes. Piece of cake -- it's now perfect, and I love how the turntable pin snaps satisfyingly into place when I turn the disc. ;)
Glad it worked for you, Rene. I did exactly the same thing in January...a 7 inch Zonophone which was so warped the first half-inch or so couldn't be played. Perfect now!

George P.
I prefer my records warped. Matches my personality.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

Don't try the glass plate-in-oven sandwich on any laminated record -- likely lam cracks will result.
Adam