Straigtening warped 78s

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Re: Straigtening warped 78s

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

Does anyone know if there is a safe way to flatten laminated disks?

S-B-H

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

If a laminated record such as Columbia were put between the glass plates, put into the oven at room temperature, then brought up to 175 degrees, I don't understand why it would be any more at risk than a solid disc.

Please educate me, as I wouldn't have hesitated to do this with a laminated disc.

George P.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

phonogfp wrote:If a laminated record such as Columbia were put between the glass plates, put into the oven at room temperature, then brought up to 175 degrees, I don't understand why it would be any more at risk than a solid disc.

Please educate me, as I wouldn't have hesitated to do this with a laminated disc.

George P.
The only fragility I see in laminated records is the difference in thermal expansion between the layers (paper and shellac). This creates tension between the layers and may create wrinkles and superficial cracks. The difference in moisture absorption between these layers also creates such stresses, but some experimentation would be required to figure out which of them is the most important environmental factor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

CarlosV wrote: The only fragility I see in laminated records is the difference in thermal expansion between the layers (paper and shellac). This creates tension between the layers and may create wrinkles and superficial cracks. The difference in moisture absorption between these layers also creates such stresses, but some experimentation would be required to figure out which of them is the most important environmental factor.
Agreed, but bringing the temperature up gradually (starting with a cool oven) should minimize any expansion differential, shouldn't it?

I'll need to dig out a junk Columbia and try this.

George P.