Did the Nazi's produce 78s and other obscure questions.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
tomb
Victor IV

Re: Did the Nazi's produce 78s and other obscure questions.

Post by tomb »

gramophone-georg wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:1. 78s were pressed all over the place back then, in fact, there was even the label Deutsch Grammophon, still around today.

2. Governmental propaganda records? Try "Charlie and His Orchestra"--IF you can find any. Allied POW's smashed most of them. The hottest jazz to ever come out of the Third Reich. Might cost you an arm and a leg though.

3. Tie ins with the movies? Definitely! Back then, the movies often introduced songs, and they would be covered on records by sometimes the original artist, other times a different singer. Broadway play soundtracks are quite common and I have some records c. 1930 mentioning "From Columbia's New Talkie" on the label. Pretty cool!

4. Popular hits of the 1920s and 30s... the hot jazz stuff isn't as common as you think it is. Not everyone decided "Look, it's modern now! Time to party like it's 1929!" Hard to do when it's 1928. Look for old labels and eventually it will show up. 1910s records are a lot of fun too, and pretty easy to get. For the hot records I suggest digging in old phonographs. Buy a few derelicts, fix 'em up, sell them, and keep the records. Or keep all of it and have to find room.

Wish I could have picked through 600 records! That sounded like fun. Good luck and good listening!
#2 was not for home consumption, though. They were for propaganda purposes only, directed at the Allies, esp. POWs... which is why they got smashed by the POWs.
I hope they got smashed over their heads. There was a display posted on this forum which had several Nazi records shown. I think most people wanted to obliterate everything about them after the war making all there material scarce. My father in law brought some stuff back as a lot of GIs went after souvenirs. Tom

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

There is some historical interest from the viewpoint of seeing what methods were used by the NAZI propaganda experts to influence a technically advanced, generally well educated population, and to turn otherwise normal, civilized people into barbarians...

The information gathered should be looked at as a lesson in the recognition of manipulation techniques - to learn to spot them and keep them from repeating in the future...

Otherwise, there is nothing worth memorializing about one of the darkest, most evil periods and regimes of world history...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Curt A wrote:There is some historical interest from the viewpoint of seeing what methods were used by the NAZI propaganda experts to influence a technically advanced, generally well educated population, and to turn otherwise normal, civilized people into barbarians...

The information gathered should be looked at as a lesson in the recognition of manipulation techniques - to learn to spot them and keep them from repeating in the future...

Otherwise, there is nothing worth memorializing about one of the darkest, most evil periods and regimes of world history...

Very well said indeed I think.

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Post by Josh Cattermole 1999 »

Yes well said.

In my case I bought my record solely for the possible GI souvenir story behind it and the fact that I hadn't yet got a record from 1930s Germany.

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

As TODAY (16th April) is the 73rd anniversary of the liberation of Bergen Belsen concentration camp its probably a good time to ponder on this in the context of the records raised in this thread.

I must admit that I have only once seen a record with obvious Nazi connections a long time ago on the shelf of a record dealer. As I recall it was the Nazi party "anthem" and on the brown paper record cover it said this and also the words "Do not play". I remember that I slid the record back onto the shelf and moved swiftly on. These records, so closely connected with so many deaths and worldwide suffering, have no interest to me and I also think they have no place being displayed as trophies.

S-B-H

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Swing Band Heaven wrote:As TODAY (16th April) is the 73rd anniversary of the liberation of Bergen Belsen concentration camp its probably a good time to ponder on this in the context of the records raised in this thread.

I must admit that I have only once seen a record with obvious Nazi connections a long time ago on the shelf of a record dealer. As I recall it was the Nazi party "anthem" and on the brown paper record cover it said this and also the words "Do not play". I remember that I slid the record back onto the shelf and moved swiftly on. These records, so closely connected with so many deaths and worldwide suffering, have no interest to me and I also think they have no place being displayed as trophies.

S-B-H
I agree... Can you imagine having an Adolph Hitler picture disc hanging on your wall? When you put this in the context of visiting various extermination camps, as I have done, it sickens your soul to imagine the horrors and suffering.

The Auschwitz camp commandant - Rudolf Franz Hoess, (born November 25, 1900, Baden-Baden, Germany—hung April 16, 1947, Auschwitz [Oświęcim], Poland) had a mansion at Auschwitz, where surviving pictures show him cavorting in the yard with his children or having a family picnic, while 50 yards away is a crematorium burning the bodies of his murdered victims. It boggles the mind that this monster lived a "normal family life" in the midst of unbelievable insanity and suffering... At least his hanging at the Auschwitz crematorium seemed a fitting end to such a vile criminal and mass murderer...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Curt A wrote:There is some historical interest from the viewpoint of seeing what methods were used by the NAZI propaganda experts to influence a technically advanced, generally well educated population, and to turn otherwise normal, civilized people into barbarians...

A lesson which, sadly, needs to be relearned.

Bill

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Keeping the above comment VERY much in mind, I noticed what (I think and assume ?) may be Nazi propaganda 78 records for sale at auction from The Hitler era ? So they do exist perhaps ?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auct ... bb00bc62e2
Attachments
Nazi2.JPG
nazi.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I don't have a record to go with my cover pictured on Page 1 of this thread, but this is what it might have looked like :
Attachments
SS.jpg