Were direct-recorded cylinders still available c. 1900?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
rodpickett
Victor II

Re: Were direct-recorded cylinders still available c. 1900?

Post by rodpickett »

Rich,

Thank you. Your post demonstrates another benefit of APS Membership.

Allen Koenigsberg’s publication, the Antique Phonograph Monthly, remains under U.S. Copyright protection. He still sells copies. Your example posting, for illustrative purposes, is likely permissible.

However, APS has been granted Copyright Use by Allen, for inclusion within the APS knowledgebase. We have received same from other authors as well.

The fabulous quarterly APS publication, “The Antique Phonograph” combined with the APS knowledgebase and Search function are two excellent reasons to become members, if you are not already.

Join Us now!

https://www.antiquephono.org/join-us-home/

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Definitely a member. I hope everyone else who uses this Forum also joins.

Rich Gordon

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

rgordon939 wrote:Here is a copy of the article from my set of Antique Phonograph Monthly’s that Rod Pickett is referring to “The Beginning of “Dubbed" Edison Blue Amberol Cylinders”. Great information.

Rich Gordon
Now, from what I have read in the Blue Amberol books, I thought the dubbing process was acoustic, rather than pantographic: they even display diagrams of the dubbing setup. Operating a pantograph, where the reproducing and recording styli are moving at different speeds (150 vs. <200 tpi), seems to me a formidable engineering challenge.

Bill

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Were talking 1900 in this thread on brown wax cylinders. It was about 1915 the acoustical, horn dubbing from Diamond Disc to four minute master cylinder started. The pant-o-graph process was for brown wax cylinders. It looks like by the mid 1890's By the round recordings were sold as some of the cylinders, however some masters were used to make duplicates by the Gold Moulding process to make a number of sub masters that were used on the pant-o-graph duplicators. It was not like the hot wax process used to make commercial "Gold Moulded" records, but rather, the Gold Molding process was used to create molds, however a close fitting brown wax blank was put in the mold, and a mandrel inserted as the mold was heated, and the blank expanded (also a mandrel forced the blank to the sound grooves.) when this cooled the brown wax blank had the grooves of the mold in the cylinder, that a number of these were used on the duplication machines to copy commercial brown wax for customers. :!: