Where to search for those hard to find gems?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
NeedleSpeak
Victor Jr

Where to search for those hard to find gems?

Post by NeedleSpeak »

I was greiviously wrong when I assumed Miss Helen Kane didn't record "Dangerouse Nan McGrew" a single from the movie of the same title. In fact in 1930 she did so Victor 22407.

This 78 seems very hard to find for sale, having only seen fished auctions from years past. But is there a place to seek out rare 78s or is it all luck?

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Where to search for those hard to find gems?

Post by Wolfe »

You could try an auction site like Nauck's. Their currect auction is closing soon, but, alas no copy of that record is featured this go-round. There's not a lot of places, really. Luck is a big factor. Watch e-bay.

You could also place a WANTED ad in this forum's Yankee Trader section.

NeedleSpeak
Victor Jr

Post by NeedleSpeak »

As a new collector information like this is great. Thank you!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Helen Kane's records, in general, are somewhat difficult to find because of their desirability to collectors... Usually, your best finds are in places you don't expect them. You might luck out on eBay, but other collectors are searching for these also, so there may be more competition. The Helen Kane records I have found have been totally by chance/luck... You might also search on eBay UK or eBay.de in Germany. Good luck with your search... if you really want one, don't place a "proxy bid" on eBay, just wait until the last 5 seconds and throw in your best offer...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Curt A wrote: just wait until the last 5 seconds and throw in your best offer...
What is known as snipe bidding.

The largest bid will still win anyway, regardless of when it's entered. So if you really want something set a high (hidden) max bid on it.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Wolfe wrote:
Curt A wrote: just wait until the last 5 seconds and throw in your best offer...

The largest bid will still win anyway, regardless of when it's entered. So if you really want something set a high (hidden) max bid on it.
Unfortunately for us mortals, there are apps for sniping, which will automatically top the high bidder at the very last second (unless the bidder has set a limit on a maximum bid; in which case one has to set an initial bid beyond what other collectors would see as 'reasonable')... :(

Bill

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Lucius1958 wrote:
Wolfe wrote:

Unfortunately for us mortals, there are apps for sniping, which will automatically top the high bidder at the very last second (unless the bidder has set a limit on a maximum bid; in which case one has to set an initial bid beyond what other collectors would see as 'reasonable')... :(

Bill
No, they won't "automatically top". They can't, any more than any bid can "automatically top" any other bid. In the end, the highest bid still wins. ;)

I started using a sniping program because I got tired of being followed... in the eBay days when all user IDs were visible, other collectors knew I was a notorious record guy- and a bid from me would always start a feeding frenzy. I actually used to bid on common records just to watch the fun commence. :lol:

Now that bidder IDs are hidden, we have the shills driving up the price only to disappear or establish undeclared reserves. With my sniping tool, they never see me coming. ;)

However, I still get outbid on as many items as I win, so this legend that a snipe program is somehow some sort of an unfair advantage is just that.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek