100 years ago today!

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: 100 years ago today!

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks Dan, DeeDee and I enjoyed this very much. Jerry B.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

epigramophone wrote:
Years ago I read somewhere that Dorothy Caruso considered this to be the most realistic recording of her late husband's voice.
IIRC, that assertion by Dorothy was repeated in Enrico Caruso Jr's bio of his old man.

I've never got around to reading Dorothy's ancient bio, I think I've heard it has quite a few inaccuracies. She didn't come into Caruso's life until relatively late.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Yes there are lots of inaccuracies and license taken in her book. She had published an earlier biography in 1928 I think.
I find that most would consider the Caruso, Jr/Farkas book to be the most definitive bio of Caruso thus far.
In Dorothy's 1945 book, I've always enjoyed reading the discography by Jack Caiden. Those numbers he gives regarding values of Caruso records have certainly increased....except maybe for the regular domestic Victors--with very few exceptions like Monarch/De Luxe pressings and a few others---which, even in great shape, are barely worth more than their original sale prices--and in some cases (concerted pieces) even less!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

As well as the Dorothy Caruso biography I have and can recommend :

CARUSO : Stanley Jackson (1972) ISBN 0-491-00664-0.

CARUSO : AN ILLUSTRATED LIFE : Howard S. Greenfield (1991) ISBN 1-85585-022-2. This was published to accompany a major three part TV series "A Tenor's Tribute" presented by Dennis O'Neill, which I have never seen. If it had aired on UK TV I am sure I would have remembered it. Does it exist somewhere on DVD?