Historic Spoken Word Recordings

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Re: Historic Spoken Word Recordings

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

Marty Bufalini wrote:
Swingband: Thanks for your link. I listened to it and it was fascinating. I need to find a copy now, too.
If you do look for a copy try and get one with its original printed paper sleeve as seen in that you tube video I posted. The record is not super rare and many do have their original covers so I think it's worth holding out for one of those.

S-B-H

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Thanks, all. I was interested in the Debs recordings but am still confused if it is his voice or not.

I think this is fun stuff.

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

The Columbia cylinder records currently listed on eBay are all recited by Len Spencer.

Per the Columbia Phonograph Company ad, referenced on the APS website:

The single-sided 10 inch records (two total) are recited by Len Spencer

The double-sided 10 inch records (three total) are recited by Wanhope, Mills and Wilshire. “They were actually spoken by Wanhope, Mills and Wilshire”

The cylinder records (3 speeches in three parts for 9 total) are recited by Len Spencer. “These records were written by Debs, Wanhope and Wilshire, but were spoken by Len Spencer, the man who makes so many records for the Columbia and Edison Phonograph Companies”

Therefore, I would assume there is no recitation, on disc or cylinder, by Debs himself.

I have not yet seen photos of the actual cylinders on the eBay listing so their condition cannot be confirmed.

I have heard from a reliable source that a set of cylinders like this, or the same set perhaps, sold on eBay in 2007 for a total exceeding $3,000.

An informed bidder can evaluate what exactly they are bidding on and how much they wish to bid, given reliable data.