Live from the Met.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Re: Live from the Met.

Post by Chuck »

Wolfe wrote: There's quite a bit of flutter on those newly recorded cylinders.
As everyone who has ever done any impromptu
live cylinder recording can tell you,
it's darn near impossible to get everything perfect.

Usually, there is a serious time constraint involved.
Things always must be done quickly, on the spot.

What you get is what you get.
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Wolfe wrote:
52089 wrote:Lovely. Quite good recordings all things considered.
There's quite a bit of flutter on those newly recorded cylinders.
Given that it's an ordinary phonograph with a home recorder, and not a studio machine with a flywheel, etc., those cylinders came out extremely well to my ears.

Bill

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I listened closely and the loudness and overall quality other than warble is excellent. I remember at Union it was hard to find a machinethat would play at two minuterecord properly. The veryimportant thing is they sang well for the taking ofan acoustic recording. most dont knowhow loud you must be .

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I thought the cylinders sounded good apart from the 'warble' too.

The singer who was complaining about his intonation sounding off. I wonder if it was the warble, or the frequency range limitations of the cylinder recording that he's hearing. Usually it's female voices that are more adversely affected by the acoustical recording process.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

For an Edison Home it did very well, I had a chance when nobody was bothering me, to listen closely at a good volume. At least the warble is less than my Dave Brubek's Greatest Hits LP, the song "I'M In A dancing mood", has much more than these cylinders, I played this lp on both a direct and belt drive turn table, the warble is horrible on that song,Either Columbia's tape machine, or record lathe was at fault. The tone on the cylinders was very good. You can hear some footsteps going up the table on the phonograph, if you listen closely. I (listened on a pair of Klipsch horn cabinets, one a short horn the other an EV Empire.) I think Jerry has two recorders, that have molded silicone gaskets, one recorder has a glass diaphragm, and the other a mica. These recorders were rebuilt by Michael Devecka.

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

IMHO, given the equipment used, I thought the cylinders sounded remarkably good! Especially, the tenor. Given that, I think we are hearing Caruso, et al nearly as if in person.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

The Flower song from Carmen is my favorite of the recordings. I honestly think these cylinders, as far as tone, and clarity sound much clearer than a Victor acoustical Red Seal. Good job Chuck Richards and Gerald Fabris!