Marconi Velvet Tone Records?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

Re: Marconi Velvet Tone Records?

Post by melvind »

With all the discussion on these records I decided to look up my one and only copy of a Marconi record. I had never played it before and bought it originally because I wanted the label. It was really dirty and it took 5 cleanings to get all the dirt off. It looks pretty good visually but I can't say it has a very velvety surface. Being more than 100 years old who knows what it has been played on through the years.

I had more trouble than usual transferring this record. My normal process of digitizing created all kinds of horrible new sounds and digital artifacts I had never heard before. I finally opted for a very minimal processing with Audacity and no other tools. There is kind of a high pitched whoosh sound especially at the beginning during the very worn announcement. I suspect that is what confused the tools. It sounds almost electronic, but I am sure it is simply from the condition of the soft surface. Obviously it can't be anything electronic in that time period.

In any case, the cornet sounds very realistic and once you get past the noisy start of the record you can hear nice sound through the surface noise. Interestingly enough this record sounds the best and most natural at 78 rpm. A rare thing among early records in my experience.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf42C0AtJDQ[/youtubehd]
https://youtu.be/nf42C0AtJDQ

In the following picture you can see that on the edges there is some missing record surface. It is only on the outside and not inside the raised line.
20180427_114909.png
20180427_114902 copy 2.png
20180427_114037.png

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Does anyone have any of the gold marconi needles? I've never seen any of them that I know of.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

melvind wrote:Does anyone have any of the gold marconi needles? I've never seen any of them that I know of.
Neither have I. I have some oddball gold needles, but have no idea of the maker/distributor. I've never seen an ad for Marconi Needles either.

George P.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I did find something kinda neat on ebay from Germany. There are a set of Marconi records listed and one of them has the original sleeve. Something I've never seen before.

http://r.ebay.com/1Vs9Kj

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Here is another 10" Marconi sleeve variation (image from the internet) with noticeable differences in the three small decorations. I have a 10" Marconi sleeve with text in Spanish, and a totally blank 10" sleeve with the same "glassine" center hole window. I also have a 12" Marconi record, but I have never seen a 12" Marconi sleeve.

Bob
Attachments
tn-900_scan_2a_front.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I didn't realize there was such variety in Marconi sleeves... (This thread prompted me to look a little more closely.) Here are three 12" Marconi records and sleeves. One of the sleeves has a cutout for a finger grip, and it's noticeably larger than the others. It also has a different decoration, and retains its glassine window. The others are gone.

George P.
Marconi.JPG