"Di Quella Pira" by Enrico Caruso 1906

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

"Di Quella Pira" by Enrico Caruso 1906

Post by melvind »

I just bought this Caruso record from forum member Doug (FellowCollector). While I don't record too many Caruso records because they are so widely available in digital format, I had to record this one. It is a very early copy of the record from the original stamper that is in wonderful condition. Very clear and easy to transfer. I hope some of you enjoy it as much as I do.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR5ytSqlQ2k[/youtubehd]
https://youtu.be/WR5ytSqlQ2k
20180527_071408 copy.png
20180527_071408.png

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: "Di Quella Pira" by Enrico Caruso 1906

Post by Wolfe »

IIRC, this 1906 session, first batch of records Caruso made with an 'orchestra.' Piano only before this. Those early Victors have a nice, forward sound.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Dan,
Thanks ever so much for sharing the recording here. It was a pleasure for me to know that the record was going to someone who would truly appreciate and care for it as I have for many years. Now I can listen to it again anytime as I never made a digital copy of it.

All the best,
Doug

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

melvind wrote:I just bought this Caruso record from forum member Doug (FellowCollector). While I don't record too many Caruso records because they are so widely available in digital format, I had to record this one. It is a very early copy of the record from the original stamper that is in wonderful condition. Very clear and easy to transfer. I hope some of you enjoy it as much as I do.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR5ytSqlQ2k[/youtubehd]
https://youtu.be/WR5ytSqlQ2k
20180527_071408 copy.png
20180527_071408.png
Ah, so it was YOU who snagged that... infidel! :twisted:

By the time I had time to go through my GPs to be sure I didn't have it already it was 'sold'. Actually, if I had to see it go to someone else it would be to you or viva voce. :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

By the time I had time to go through my GPs to be sure I didn't have it already it was 'sold'. Actually, if I had to see it go to someone else it would be to you or viva voce. :lol:[/quote]

Aww thanks :)
My copy is not a Victor but a Gramophone pink label either G&T or pre-dog--can't remember which.

It amazes me how many posts there are on YouTube of this record at too high a speed---in C-major, or even higher than that lol.
Caruso transposed this aria down a semitone from C-major to B (In the same recording session he also transposed the aria from Boheme.)
There was an Lp released back in the 1950s/'60's with something like 20 different tenors singing this aria. Not only was Caruso's version sped up to play in C-major, but the first high "C" was edited and looped to make it appear he was holding the note for several seconds longer than originally recorded LMAO

Steven

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

76.00 rpm is the reported correct speed for this record.

If you have one of the dubbed versions, perhaps not. I have a few of the dubbed copies, but I've only played them most casually.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Wolfe wrote:76.00 rpm is the reported correct speed for this record.

If you have one of the dubbed versions, perhaps not. I have a few of the dubbed copies, but I've only played them most casually.
My pink G&T copy is POM. The dub was done in 1915 at the same speed as the original.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

1915, right, I remember reading that somewhere.

So, perhaps there are some batwing label copies that are not dubs after all.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Wolfe wrote:1915, right, I remember reading that somewhere.

So, perhaps there are some batwing label copies that are not dubs after all.
Yes they would be batwing "Victor" not "Victrola." I had one of those years ago. The dubs are visually easily distinguished from the originals--they have the fractional S/8 symbol in the runoff area, and the width of the grooved area is larger.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Viva-voce wrote:...There was an Lp released back in the 1950s/'60's with something like 20 different tenors singing this aria. Not only was Caruso's version sped up to play in C-major, but the first high "C" was edited and looped to make it appear he was holding the note for several seconds longer than originally recorded LMAO

Steven
Let me guess: Everest?