Any interest in 12" Comedy Records?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Any interest in 12" Comedy Records?

Post by Lucius1958 »

Always up for a good C&H: especially if it's got a good, raggy tune...

But some pieces are hard to stomach. I once unthinkingly played "Bake Dat Chicken Pie" for a black classmate, and it still makes me cringe to remember... :oops:

Bill

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Something British, and so popular that Harry Tate remade it electrically many years later :
Attachments
motoring.jpg

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

To each their own. I have went through my phase with Uncle Josh and have sold or selling the last of them. I also went through the phase of early comedy Diamond Discs, but have listed them as part of a bundle of records for sale. The racism was real back then, and it was history, but personally for me it is just not my thing.

I personally have shifted all of my attention to keeping the musical records (mostly jazz, band, classical and opera).

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I remember the year 1967 when 12" comedy albums were king. Bill Cosby albums were the rage then, when albums such as Wonderfulness, Why is there air?, and I Started Out as a Child were big hits with the record buying public. Most of it was just clean fun when compared with later stuff like Richard Pryor and Robin Williams. But even it had some things that would be politically incorrect by today's standards when Cosby makes fun of the kids in the Special Class. Who knows, people in 50 to 100 years may look back on today's four letter word comedy as indecent and gross. Comedy tends to date badly.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

marcapra wrote:I remember the year 1967 when 12" comedy albums were king. Bill Cosby albums were the rage then, when albums such as Wonderfulness, Why is there air?, and I Started Out as a Child were big hits with the record buying public. Most of it was just clean fun when compared with later stuff like Richard Pryor and Robin Williams. But even it had some things that would be politically incorrect by today's standards when Cosby makes fun of the kids in the Special Class. Who knows, people in 50 to 100 years may look back on today's four letter word comedy as indecent and gross. Comedy tends to date badly.
Yeah, Flip Wilson and Moms Mabley... those were the days. Moms actually appeared as a vocalist on some 1920s 78s IIRC, as "Jackie Mabley".
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

------