Victor "Patti" label records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

Re: Victor "Patti" label records

Post by melvind »

gramophone-georg wrote:I have a Gramophone Melba disc from the UK- did the Euro discs have a special sleeve as well? Maybe since they gave her her own gramophone over there they figured she didn't need a sleeve.
On the thread 52089 mentioned earlier there is a picture of an ad from England with a special sleeve for Melba records. I have no idea for the Patti and Tamagno records.
52089 wrote:Pictures of the sleeves can be found in this thread:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... tti+sleeve

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

melvind wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:I have a Gramophone Melba disc from the UK- did the Euro discs have a special sleeve as well? Maybe since they gave her her own gramophone over there they figured she didn't need a sleeve.
On the thread 52089 mentioned earlier there is a picture of an ad from England with a special sleeve for Melba records. I have no idea for the Patti and Tamagno records.
52089 wrote:Pictures of the sleeves can be found in this thread:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... tti+sleeve
Thanks- somehow I must have skipped right over that! :monkey:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

gramophone-georg wrote:Interesting. I have a couple of those Tamagno discs somewhere in my hoard. They came from a university library collection and I always assumed those numbers were library reference numbers stamped on. In the famous words of Bugs Bunny... "Whatta maroon"!!! :lol:

I have a Gramophone Melba disc from the UK- did the Euro discs have a special sleeve as well? Maybe since they gave her her own gramophone over there they figured she didn't need a sleeve.
Tamagno was the first artist to receive a royalty on the sale of each record, hence the individual serial numbers on the earliest issues. He was famously parsimonious, and thought that these numbers would enable him to check his record sales against his royalty statements.

The records sold for GBP£1 each, when the USD exchange rate was $4.87 to the £1. Those were the days!

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

-----

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Just to document everything in one thread --- The image below (from somewhere on the internet) in this Melba sleeve is different than the one Dan pictured earlier in this thread.

Bob
Attachments
Victor - Melba (Front View).jpg

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

What a great thread this is :)
Yup the Tanagno, Melba, and Patti records are fun to collect both on G&T and on the early concurrent Victor pressings. I understand that the original sleeves (I don't have any unfortunately) are much rarer than the records.
Here are pics of some of the original pressings I have by these artists. And I just love the labels!

Steven
Attachments
IMG_8232.JPG
IMG_8229.JPG
IMG_8226.JPG
IMG_8221.JPG
IMG_8220.JPG
IMG_8219.JPG
IMG_8216.JPG
IMG_8215.JPG
IMG_8213.JPG

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Victor released a total of 50 records by Tamagno, Melba, and Patti during the years 1904-1906. There is one duplication--Victor
"Melba" 95012 "Good-bye" by Tosti, was issued in two different takes under the same catalogue number. The first was the March, 1904 truncated version, and the second was the September, 1905 version. The second version is longer, as it includes all the stanzas.

Steven

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

The comparative rarity of the covers for these records is partly due to the use of storage albums. The paper covers would then have been discarded.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

epigramophone wrote:The comparative rarity of the covers for these records is partly due to the use of storage albums. The paper covers would then have been discarded.
Yes that makes sense--but isn't it a touch ironic that those super-expensive discs would have been better off stored in those covers rather than the albums, where every "turn of the page" could, and often did, result in record breakage.

Steven

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Yes, and the same applies to cylinders. Every time I see one of those cylinder storage cabinets with wooden pegs, I shudder at the thought of all the boxes which were thrown away.

Roger.