1940s(ish) Italian NYC-area singer Mario Trovato -- anyone?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
CPBarnum
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Longtime music lover, Grafonola newbie

1940s(ish) Italian NYC-area singer Mario Trovato -- anyone?

Post by CPBarnum »

I've been looking for literally decades for ANYTHING by Mario Trovato -- he's my brother-in-law's father and, way back in the day, was popular in the NY-metro area Italian community. He sang at Madison Square Garden, had his own radio show on WLOV (Italian station out of Brooklyn) and cut a few records in probably around the late-30s, early-40s.

Has anyone heard of him? Better yet, does anyone have a record of him that they'd either be willing to post audio of or sell to me?

Thanks!

--Craig
Trovato 2.jpg
Trovato 1.jpg
Trovato 3.jpg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: 1940s(ish) Italian NYC-area singer Mario Trovato -- anyo

Post by Lucius1958 »

CPBarnum wrote:I've been looking for literally decades for ANYTHING by Mario Trovato -- he's my brother-in-law's father and, way back in the day, was popular in the NY-metro area Italian community. He sang at Madison Square Garden, had his own radio show on WLOV (Italian station out of Brooklyn) and cut a few records in probably around the late-30s, early-40s.

Has anyone heard of him? Better yet, does anyone have a record of him that they'd either be willing to post audio of or sell to me?

Thanks!

--Craig
Trovato 2.jpg
Trovato 1.jpg
Trovato 3.jpg
Interesting! I had to check out the reference in the 1939 notice, and found out it probably refers to Italy's contribution to the Spanish Civil War: they sent volunteers to back up Franco's Fascists.

Bill

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Which reference?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Which reference?
The last poster shown, from 1939, referencing 'the anniversary of Italy's entrance into the war.'

Bill

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

That's easily explained and has nothing to do with Franco: having been neutral for approximately one year, Italy joined the Great War (WWI) the 24th of May 1915, so as the poster correctly reports spring 1939 was the 24th anniversary.

The other anniversary is relative to the Second Italo-Ethiopian War: the 5th of May 1936, with the conquest of Addis Abeba, Ethiopia was annected to the Kingdom of Italy. As Ethiopia was officially recognised by the Society of Nations as being an empire, king Vittorio Emanuele III joined the crowns of King of Italy and Emperor of Ethiopia. The poster correctly reports that in spring 1939 it was the 3rd anniversary of the rise of the Italo-Ethiopian Empire.

I have searched Mario Trovato on the Dizionario della Canzone Italiana but could find no reference to his name. Possibly - but this is just my speculation - he skillfully created a niche for his career among US Italian immigrants, who quite obviously missed Italian music and lyrics, but he had no audience in homeland.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:That's easily explained and has nothing to do with Franco: having been neutral for approximately one year, Italy joined the Great War (WWI) the 24th of May 1915, so as the poster correctly reports spring 1939 was the 24th anniversary.

The other anniversary is relative to the Second Italo-Ethiopian War: the 5th of May 1936, with the conquest of Addis Abeba, Ethiopia was annected to the Kingdom of Italy. As Ethiopia was officially recognised by the Society of Nations as being an empire, king Vittorio Emanuele III joined the crowns of King of Italy and Emperor of Ethiopia. The poster correctly reports that in spring 1939 it was the 3rd anniversary of the rise of the Italo-Ethiopian Empire.

I have searched Mario Trovato on the Dizionario della Canzone Italiana but could find no reference to his name. Possibly - but this is just my speculation - he skillfully created a niche for his career among US Italian immigrants, who quite obviously missed Italian music and lyrics, but he had no audience in homeland.
Thanks for the clarification!

My English-speaking brain misinterpreted the "24mo" as "twenty-four months"... :oops:

Bill