The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: King of Jazz 1930 starring Paul Whiteman and orch.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:35 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:12 pm
Posts: 1298
Victrolacollector wrote:
It is a shame the color was not correctly restored. I found the video on you tube and just stream it to my TV for free. I



The restorers insist that this what audiences of 1930 would have seen, but I've wondered about the power-blue that appears in some of the faded videos transferred from VHS, and other sources. I remember reading that the blue was enhanced for the 1933 re-release of the film, but can't find a reference now. I did, however, spot this, from 2004:

"Anderson wanted to mount an elaborate number around "Rhapsody In Blue", which presented an obvoius logistical problem because Technicolor did not photograph blue. To simulate blue he used a background of gray and silver with a touch of green shading. To enhance the red and green that did exist in 2-strip technicolor he used lamps with coloured projection. Anderson and Whiteman decided to pre-record all of the music, which ensured a better balance between the band the singers... I think the version of King Of Jazz we have today has been treated with a blue dye to further enhance the "Rhapsody In Blue" number because to my eyes it does look blue.... A very faded blue, but nevertheless its blue.... I think they probably added blue ink to the print????" FROM: http://stevenlewis.info/crosby/messages/kingofjazz.html

I've seen a few other Technicolor 2-color films, such a Redskin -- (full movie) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxN-IX-9XkE -- in which the sky, water, etc., is teal or light green:

Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 54.66 KiB | Viewed 284 times ]


OrthoFan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: King of Jazz 1930 starring Paul Whiteman and orch.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:45 am 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:16 pm
Posts: 545
It will be interesting to see if any mention of the restoration process is made in the 2 disk set. As it's dvd region 1 and area A for the blu ray I can't buy it to play here in the UK but for anyone who does buy the set please report back if there is any information on the rhapsody in blue verses green discussion

S-B-H


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: King of Jazz 1930 starring Paul Whiteman and orch.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline
Victor VI
I have good days...this might not be one of them
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:23 pm
Posts: 3831
Location: Albany NY
Swing Band Heaven wrote:
It will be interesting to see if any mention of the restoration process is made in the 2 disk set. As it's dvd region 1 and area A for the blu ray I can't buy it to play here in the UK but for anyone who does buy the set please report back if there is any information on the rhapsody in blue verses green discussion

S-B-H


There is documentary material- and also a large and lavish hardcover book about the film published a couple years back.

The old edition on VHS was tweaked to bring it closer to full Technicolor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: King of Jazz 1930 starring Paul Whiteman and orch.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:03 pm 
Offline
Victor I
User avatar
Everybody Panatrope!
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:31 pm
Posts: 122
Location: St. Charles, Missouri
I purchased a copy as soon as it was released. I was most pleased with the fact that they used the continuous soundtrack from disc. In the previous versions we have all seen, there were several jump cuts and missing bits (especially in the transition between the variety numbers) these are now infilled with stills of the scene or principal performer speaking. The complete soundtrack helps introduce the musical numbers and answers some questions the viewer may have had. The restoration varies from scene to scene but in many places you can now fully see better facial expressions and appreciate more details. I enjoyed the clearer view of many of vocalists and musicians in a period where the camera and microphone recorded their actual performance rather than lip syncing to a studio recording. The clearer view could not improve (in my opinion) the lesser talented Sisters G :( 8-). Who did they know to get in this film?
We also got a better view of the Russell Markert Girls (aka Missouri Rockets) from our own St. Louis, Missouri. Two years later that were booked for the grand opening of Radio City Music Hall and never came home!

In all I am pleased. :)
"I think he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle"
My Old Boss 1923 - 2010


Last edited by Springmotor70 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: King of Jazz 1930 starring Paul Whiteman and orch.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:34 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:33 pm
Posts: 897
I just ordered a copy.It'd be fun to see it! :D edisonplayer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: King of Jazz 1930 starring Paul Whiteman and orch.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:51 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:56 pm
Posts: 506
Springmotor70 wrote:
I purchased a copy as soon as it was released. I was most pleased with the fact that they used the continuous soundtrack from disc. In the previous versions we have all seen, there were several jump cuts and missing bits (especially in the transition between the variety numbers) these are now infilled with stills of the scene or principal performer speaking. The complete soundtrack helps introduce the musical numbers and answers some questions the viewer may have had. The restoration varies from scene to scene but in many places you can now fully see better facial expressions and appreciate more details. I enjoyed the clearer view of many of vocalists and musicians in a period where the camera and microphone recorded their actual performance rather than lip syncing to a studio recording. The clearer view could not improve (in my opinion) the lesser talented Sisters G :( 8-). Who did they know to get in this film?
We also got a better view of the Russell Markert Girls (aka Missouri Rockets) from our own St. Louis, Missouri. Two years later that were booked for the grand opening of Radio City Music Hall and never came home!

In all I am pleased. :)


You do know that all the musical numbers were pre-recorded except one. Just like on modern films. It was innovative at the time. The performers lip synced to a soundtrack playback for the photography.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: King of Jazz 1930 starring Paul Whiteman and orch.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:27 pm 
Offline
Victor I
User avatar
Everybody Panatrope!
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:31 pm
Posts: 122
Location: St. Charles, Missouri
Phototone wrote:
Springmotor70 wrote:
I purchased a copy as soon as it was released. I was most pleased with the fact that they used the continuous soundtrack from disc. In the previous versions we have all seen, there were several jump cuts and missing bits (especially in the transition between the variety numbers) these are now infilled with stills of the scene or principal performer speaking. The complete soundtrack helps introduce the musical numbers and answers some questions the viewer may have had. The restoration varies from scene to scene but in many places you can now fully see better facial expressions and appreciate more details. I enjoyed the clearer view of many of vocalists and musicians in a period where the camera and microphone recorded their actual performance rather than lip syncing to a studio recording. The clearer view could not improve (in my opinion) the lesser talented Sisters G :( 8-). Who did they know to get in this film?
We also got a better view of the Russell Markert Girls (aka Missouri Rockets) from our own St. Louis, Missouri. Two years later that were booked for the grand opening of Radio City Music Hall and never came home!

In all I am pleased. :)


You do know that all the musical numbers were pre-recorded except one. Just like on modern films. It was innovative at the time. The performers lip synced to a soundtrack playback for the photography.



I knew some were, but I did not know it was all but one. Thank you.
"I think he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle"
My Old Boss 1923 - 2010


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: King of Jazz 1930 starring Paul Whiteman and orch.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:05 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
I have good days...this might not be one of them
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:23 pm
Posts: 3831
Location: Albany NY
Phototone wrote:
Springmotor70 wrote:
I purchased a copy as soon as it was released. I was most pleased with the fact that they used the continuous soundtrack from disc. In the previous versions we have all seen, there were several jump cuts and missing bits (especially in the transition between the variety numbers) these are now infilled with stills of the scene or principal performer speaking. The complete soundtrack helps introduce the musical numbers and answers some questions the viewer may have had. The restoration varies from scene to scene but in many places you can now fully see better facial expressions and appreciate more details. I enjoyed the clearer view of many of vocalists and musicians in a period where the camera and microphone recorded their actual performance rather than lip syncing to a studio recording. The clearer view could not improve (in my opinion) the lesser talented Sisters G :( 8-). Who did they know to get in this film?
We also got a better view of the Russell Markert Girls (aka Missouri Rockets) from our own St. Louis, Missouri. Two years later that were booked for the grand opening of Radio City Music Hall and never came home!

In all I am pleased. :)


You do know that all the musical numbers were pre-recorded except one. Just like on modern films. It was innovative at the time. The performers lip synced to a soundtrack playback for the photography.


Whiteman wanted those numbers to sound as good as his commercial recordings - plus they didn't have to worry about the incidental sounds- I've read that the motors and machinery moving the sets around made a racket, and that those dangling ornaments clattered.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lucius1958, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.