My bargain record from Union. A dollar "Sunset"

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
larryh
Victor IV

My bargain record from Union. A dollar "Sunset"

Post by larryh »

Union was fun, I got a few records, mostly cheap and this one had no label either side so a true chance purchase. I just knew the serial number was in the area of some good sound. It displays a bit of wear but not too much. Never heard of Ray Nichol's before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7R9KlZYry0

Larry

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: My bargain record from Union. A dollar "Sunset"

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Thanks for sharing it and yes, it was a good bargain.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Yes indeed it was a bargain. I tried to find bargain Edison records when I was there, but no luck.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Yes it seems the market for Edison machines is quite poor compared to some other types. Maybe the surface situation is a factor? There were not many records for them for sure and those that were there were not in too great a shape.

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

larryh wrote:Yes it seems the market for Edison machines is quite poor compared to some other types. Maybe the surface situation is a factor? There were not many records for them for sure and those that were there were not in too great a shape.
That's really a shame. I was last at Union in 2010, and there were at least two dealers with a huge selection of Diamond Discs, including ones in the 52000 series and test pressings. Is this just an anomaly? I'm curious as this will be one deciding factor on returning in the future. I haven't been to Wayne in the last few years (more recently than Union, though), and there were always a good number of Diamond Discs.
Union DDs 2010
Union DDs 2010

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

The dealers seemed to feel for the most part that Edisons were simply not selling well and prices reflected that in some cases. A 200 dollar 250 machine in good restorable shape didn't sell at least while I was in attendance. The Oak machines appeared reasonable and likely sold better than the other cabinets. No really high end Edisons were at the show as far as disc machines go.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

larryh wrote:Yes it seems the market for Edison machines is quite poor compared to some other types. Maybe the surface situation is a factor? There were not many records for them for sure and those that were there were not in too great a shape.
I've only been going to shows for the past few years, and have had great luck finding Diamond Discs at Wayne. This past year I ended up leaving with TWO copies of "Charleston", one of which is the cleanest copy I've ever seen!