The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Common Late 78s to look out for
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 am
Posts: 1830
Location: Eugene/ Springfield Oregon USA
Inspired by the other thread about 78s you always find... not all Deccas, red label Columbias, or post scroll Victor/ RCA Victor records are eye rolling junk.

Here are some of my favorites. Feel free to add to the list.

Red Columbias
Benny Goodman:
Honeysuckle Rose
Why Don't You Do Right
Let's Dance
Mission To Moscow
Anything else with Peggy Lee

Woody Herman
Atlanta, G.A.

Count Basie
Ride On / It's Sand, Man!

Harry James
All Or Nothing At All (1950s reissue- good luck finding an original 1939 "Jazz Masterworks pressing!)
I've Heard That Song Before
Prince Charming
Who told you I cared? (Sinatra- usually found as '50s reissue)

Decca

Jimmy Dorsey
Perfidia
Tangerine
They're Either Too Young Or Too Old

Guy Lombardo
Managua, Nicaragua

Charlie Barnet
Skyliner

Glenn Miller
Moonlight Bay- this was reissued in the black label era

Woody Herman
Laughing Boy Blues
Blues In The Night

Bob Crosby
The "Shakespeare in Swing" sides are quite interesting, issued as a 2 record set

Bluebird
Many 1920s Victor 38000 "Race" series reissues

Artie Shaw
Any Old Time w/ Billie Holiday. Early issues state "Art" Shaw and "Billy" Holiday. Earliest are on Staff label

Glenn Miller
In The Mood (of course!)

Kay Kyser
Collegiate Fanny

Charlie Barnet
"Cherokee"
"The Wrong Idea" (hilarious spoof on Sammy Kaye as "Swing and Sweat with Charlie Barnet", supposedly Kaye wanted to "kill" Barnet over it)

OKeh (purple label)

Benny Goodman:
Jersey Bounce
All others with Peggy Lee

Victor

Benny Goodman
Just about any- even RCA reissues- these were Benny's "breakout" sides, lots with Fletcher Henderson arrangements, and are quite good!

Tommy Dorsey
I've Got a Note
Satan Takes A Holiday
Jammin'
Josephine/ If the Man In The Moon Were A Coon (racist lyrics and Jack Leonard sounds a little embarrassed, but a great arrangement with mercifully short vocal. Knowing Tommy's feelings about racist BS I'm surprised he recorded it!)
Swing Time Up In Harlem/ Swing High
Will You Still Be Mine? (Connie Haines)
Yes, Indeed! (Jo Stafford and Sy Oliver vocal- great record and pushes the contemporary racial "envelope" with a black guy singing with a white girl! Radical for 1941)
All sides with Sinatra. Though later ones with the added string section can be sappy, it's still Frank!
Well, Git It!
Opus One
At The Fat Man's (w/ Charlie Shavers)
Sweet Eileen
I Ought To Know More About You

Artie Shaw
April In Paris
Alone Together
King For A Day
Who's Excited
What Is There To Say?
Don't Fall Asleep
Gloomy Sunday
Cross Your Heart/ Summit Ridge Drive
I Can't Get Started
A Foggy Day

That's all I can think of off the top of my head on short notice.

Who else wants to play? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Common Late 78s to look out for
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:08 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:52 pm
Posts: 2116
I like Gene Krupa Orchestra records on Red Columbia or Okeh, especially those with Anita O'Day on vocal. Very common. What's the commonest ? Probably Let Me Off Uptown. But most of them are good.

A real common Artie Shaw Bluebird is Stardust / Back Bay Shuffle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Common Late 78s to look out for
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:24 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 am
Posts: 1830
Location: Eugene/ Springfield Oregon USA
Wolfe wrote:
I like Gene Krupa Orchestra records on Red Columbia or Okeh, especially those with Anita O'Day on vocal. Very common. What's the commonest ? Probably Let Me Off Uptown. But most of them are good.

A real common Artie Shaw Bluebird is Stardust / Back Bay Shuffle.


I always liked Krupa's "Boogie Blues", now that you mention it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Common Late 78s to look out for
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:34 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
User avatar
Needle Tins are Addictive
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:32 pm
Posts: 3506
Location: Belmont, North Carolina
Just don't play "Gloomy Sunday" if you are depressed or lonely... :( it's the Hungarian Suicide Song... :shock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55FP1LfkkVQ

Sunday is gloomy
My hours are slumberless
Dearest the shadows
I live with are numberless
Little white flowers
Will never awaken you
Not where the black coach
Of sorrow has taken you
Angels have no thoughts
Of ever returning you
Would they be angry
If I thought of joining you
Gloomy Sunday
Gloomy is Sunday
With shadows I spend it all
My heart and I
Have decided to end it all
Soon there'll be candles
And prayers that are said I know
Let them not weep
Let them know that I'm glad to go
Death is no dream
For in death I'm caressin' you
With the last breath of my soul
I'll be blessin' you
Gloomy Sunday
Dreaming, I was only dreaming
I wake and I find you asleep
In the deep of my heart here
Darling I hope
That my dream never haunted you
My heart is tellin' you
How much I wanted you
Gloomy Sunday
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Common Late 78s to look out for
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:50 pm 
Offline
Victor II
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 2:03 pm
Posts: 372
Location: SF Bay Area
I am so depressed i am going to collect MP3 files now!.....gloomy pixels...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Common Late 78s to look out for
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:55 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 am
Posts: 1830
Location: Eugene/ Springfield Oregon USA
Vinrage_mania wrote:
I am so depressed i am going to collect MP3 files now!.....gloomy pixels...


LMAO!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Common Late 78s to look out for
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:14 am 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:29 am
Posts: 1469
Location: Temecula, CA
I would add Artie Shaw's Traffic Jam (really hot swing), and his Lady Be Good.
His Concerto for Clarinet is good too on 12". I like Ellington's jazz symphony Black, Brown, and Beige on two 12" Victors. For Charlie Barnet, besides Cherokee Redskin Rhumba is a must. For Woody Herman, I like his Ebony Concerto by Stravinsky on Everest LP, or probably a Columbia 78 12".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Common Late 78s to look out for
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:25 am 
Offline
Victor O
I hate pot metal
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 pm
Posts: 74
Curt A wrote:
Just don't play "Gloomy Sunday" if you are depressed or lonely... :( it's the Hungarian Suicide Song... :shock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55FP1LfkkVQ

Sunday is gloomy
My hours are slumberless
Dearest the shadows
I live with are numberless
Little white flowers
Will never awaken you
Not where the black coach
Of sorrow has taken you
Angels have no thoughts
Of ever returning you
Would they be angry
If I thought of joining you
Gloomy Sunday
Gloomy is Sunday
With shadows I spend it all
My heart and I
Have decided to end it all
Soon there'll be candles
And prayers that are said I know
Let them not weep
Let them know that I'm glad to go
Death is no dream
For in death I'm caressin' you
With the last breath of my soul
I'll be blessin' you
Gloomy Sunday
Dreaming, I was only dreaming
I wake and I find you asleep
In the deep of my heart here
Darling I hope
That my dream never haunted you
My heart is tellin' you
How much I wanted you
Gloomy Sunday


I have the Charlie Barnet version of that one. Wasn’t fun getting the masking tape somebody decided to use a price tag off the record grooves. :evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Common Late 78s to look out for
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:27 am 
Offline
Victor I
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:49 pm
Posts: 161
I would add Bunny Berigan to this list, and while nowhere near as common as Bing, Bob Crosby.

And in this era at least, unlike today's music, I wouldn't automatically throw something out just because it's "Country" without listening to it first.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Common Late 78s to look out for
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:18 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 am
Posts: 1830
Location: Eugene/ Springfield Oregon USA
marcapra wrote:
I would add Artie Shaw's Traffic Jam (really hot swing), and his Lady Be Good.
His Concerto for Clarinet is good too on 12". I like Ellington's jazz symphony Black, Brown, and Beige on two 12" Victors. For Charlie Barnet, besides Cherokee Redskin Rhumba is a must. For Woody Herman, I like his Ebony Concerto by Stravinsky on Everest LP, or probably a Columbia 78 12".


Yes, forgot about Traffic Jam. Good one! The flip side, "Serenade To A Savage" is no slouch, either.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.