George Williams and Bessie Brown

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

George Williams and Bessie Brown

Post by audiophile102 »

I have read that there are common 78 records that collectors see often and I wondered if any records I own are rare. I have Columbia record #A3974 and I was wondering if collectors would be interested in it. The songs are "Double Crossin Daddy" and "Satisfied Blues". Both songs are duets by George Williams and Bessie Brown. The only accompaniment is by Fletcher Henderson at the Piano. I have had the record in my collection for a while and if you like the blues, this one is the low down kind. Here is a posting on You Tube, (not mine) of the two songs. Recorded in New York City, N.Y. Thursday, August 2, 1923
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vw0m8BdtcY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQpQnLOVrF4
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: George Williams and Bessie Brown

Post by Wolfe »

I'm sure there are some collectors who might be interested. I wouldn't peg your record as anything of great monetary value. But I could be wrong. :) There's a pretty sizable number of female 'vaudeville' blues singers who recorded in the 1920's. Many of those records are middling to fair value.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I looked in my very old copy of Les Docks' "American Premium Record Guide" and your record is listed as being in the $4-$8 range. Like I said, it's a very old book, so it may have gone up since then, but it's probably not worth more then $20 or so by now.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

52089 wrote:I looked in my very old copy of Les Docks' "American Premium Record Guide" and your record is listed as being in the $4-$8 range. Like I said, it's a very old book, so it may have gone up since then, but it's probably not worth more then $20 or so by now.
Good to Know. Thanks everyone who responded. :)
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

I think I have one of their records, which I got many years ago: If Mama Quits Papa, and Papa, Don't You Mean Your Mama No Good. It does have Fletcher Henderson accompanying.

Bill

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I don't have a record by them,but I do have an OKeh by Butterbeans and Susie.edisonplayer

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

A Butterbeans & Susie in good condition is a durable item of interest for people that like to collect the Hokum kind of stuff.