Playing 16" transcription records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victor VI

Playing 16" transcription records

Post by 52089 »

I just picked up a small group of 16" transcription discs in excellent condition. They are 33 ⅓ rpm discs with interviews of sports figures used for Air Force recruiting.

Does anyone know of a good way to play these other than buying a $500+ transcription turntable?

Does anyone know of anyone who would be able to make MP3 copies of these for a small fee?

Thanks!

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Playing 16" transcription records

Post by Wolfe »

If you don't want to buy a turntable, you could use one of these : https://youtu.be/gu4YqoU_a8c

Heh, heh.

Your last option is otherwise the only one. Find someone with the capbility. Some towns have places where you can take old media, including phonograph records, and have them transfered for a fee.

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

Ok. Try to find a Newcomb school phonograph with a 16” tonearm.

http://www.kjq.us.com/newcombtranscription.html

About 25 years ago I was able to copy some old radio transcriptions via a patch cord and a direct box to cassette tape. This was from a unit I had borrowed. Even had a GE VRII pickup and 2.5 mil stylus.

Maybe somebody has access to one or a old hi fi turntable with a 16” arm.

Glenn

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Why, here's an (apparently) working Newcomb, 16" capable, that sold for a mere $22.50.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWCOMB-ED-161 ... Sws-ta-vCb

Some of the Newcombs sell for as much a couple hundred though.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

52089 wrote:I just picked up a small group of 16" transcription discs in excellent condition. They are 33 ⅓ rpm discs with interviews of sports figures used for Air Force recruiting.

Does anyone know of a good way to play these other than buying a $500+ transcription turntable?

Does anyone know of anyone who would be able to make MP3 copies of these for a small fee?

Thanks!
Buy a turntable then you'll start collecting the discs... ask me how I know. :?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

the school players arre an inexpensive option...what do the transcriptions say on the labels inquireing minds want to know ....be careful you will end up with thousands of them!!....no only I am that crazy! :o

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

As I noted, they are interviews with American sports figures - Hank Aaron, Arnold Palmer, etc. They are all from a series called "Greatest Sports Thrill". Some are 1 sided, some are 2 sided.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

:o guess i better read things twice ,some of the modern dj types will play them too ,yours are most likely microgroove too

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

52089 wrote:As I noted, they are interviews with American sports figures - Hank Aaron, Arnold Palmer, etc. They are all from a series called "Greatest Sports Thrill". Some are 1 sided, some are 2 sided.
I don't see where anyone recommended a Caliphone Machine which is what I have used to play and record the couple of hundred 16 inch transcription that I have of early radio shows, music and several 16 inch soundtracks from early films. I used to pick up loads of these machines an school auctions for next to nothing. There was a classroom model that did a great job playing 78's, 45's and 33 1/3rpm records.

However--there were also larger models meant for barn dances, square dances and broadcast that easily could and would play 16 inch transcriptions which I use to this day to play my 16 inchers. Unfortunately I sold of all but a few machines since I had so many and just kept the best to play my transcription collection.

If you can find a school auction where they haven't already gotten rid of their record players and 16mm projectors you would be surprised how cheap they go for. Also repairs and new needles are readily available.

All I have to offer on my own is a huge RCA transcription turntable from an old radio station that played all 3 speeds and had a build in amplifier and speaker. It does need work and would be a pickup only since it is so big.\

The only other thing that I could offer would be a homemade 16inch portable turntable that is original and working and would plug into any rca type amp. The only drawback is that the person who made it--although they did quality work--they put the turntable motor right beneath the tonearm; thereby causing a distinct hum when transcriptions are played on it. I never moved the turntable motor but it should be easy to do.

If there is any interest in the players I have--PM me and let me know and I will dig them out and send you and post photographs of them. Last comment is that the 16 inch califones regularly come up on EBAY and are usually in working condition. VERY dependable and robust machines.

Best, Mark