The Question of Quality - Advice Requested

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
donniej
Victor III

The Question of Quality - Advice Requested

Post by donniej »

Dear friends,
Over the past few years, the issue of quality has come up many times, and I'm asking for your help in deciding what to do. In short, good quality = higher prices, and as you probably know, I like to keep prices very, very low so all of us can afford the rare discs I offer.

Nearly all the discs I sell are between $20 - $30. Startup costs were 'significant', material costs are high and the defect rate is still astronomical; many of you reading this have probably received some of my defects (free and clearly marked, of course). I just about cover material costs and have no ambition of ever actually making any money for my time, but it really drives me crazy when people criticize the quality of my discs. Don't get my wrong, an unplayable disc is a defect and I have no problem replacing it... but when someone has issues with "fit & finish" or that the copy is slightly warped, as the original is came from was, I have to ask if they'd be willing to pay $60+ for excellent quality discs?

So here is the question of those of you who have bought discs from me, and I hope you'll be blunt. Do I keep a $20 - $30 price range and keep the current quality or do I continue to invest in tooling for a better product and charge prices more comparable to what the "cylinder guys" charge?

Your thoughts, wisdom and humor are all welcome.
Thank you.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: The Question of Quality - Advice Requested

Post by TinfoilPhono »

The few I've gotten from you so far are first rate. I am impressed by how precisely your method copies the originals.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

DonnieJ,

The discs you make are incredible. I only have Maple Leaf Rag due to a cold feet affliction when it comes to plunking down cash for 78s--too used to buying them for a buck or two...

I hope you keep on keeping on, and if you want to make some jack why not get a website, then spread the phono gospel? Web sites are great for the phono impulse buyer (yours truly) who knows it's tricky to get to the bank and send the letter...

I'd not pay $60 for a disc record. That $60 could get a lot of batwing Victors away from the bowl people and from the landfill...could win a stack of Caruso...or some Philadelphia Symphony...or some smoking jazz tunes from the Twenties. So the current prices are okay.

But if there was a web site I'd buy more. "Carrie Nation in Kansas" is a brilliant idea for a release! I only wish there were some great classical pieces or marches as well as a better representation of the early one-steps. You do, of course, know how hard it is to find the Victor Dance Orchestra in playable condition.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Donnie,

I have PMed you about my discs.
I won't add anything here other than I'm still waiting for some discs.
We all want you to succeed.
I also feel that a price increase may be necessary.

John

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Donnie:

Keep up the good work. My first disc did have problems back when you first started. But since then your process has improved and you have made records that are good in quality and wear in on the first groove without damage.

I would say continue making them for the 20-30.00 range. As time goes on a you are able to afford better equipment then do it then. I don't think its easy to recoup money in our hobby. It is expensive to make records and people should understand this is a a labor of love. Its trial and error and then it only gets better.

Also, your Diamond Discs are great, I have no issues and they play through wonderfully with little to no wear and that is phenomenal.

With you making discs, Edisonia and Norman making cylinders, this is truly great and a labor of love, I can't stress that enough. If it were not for you guys, most of us would be stuck with some limited selections of great recordings. I would say half of my cylinder collection is new reproduction cylinders.

For those that do not have a copy of Donnie's Maple Leaf Rag, you should get a copy. The music sounds great, and have not had any issues with skating or wear.